Rainbow Colored Vegetables

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I might have mentioned this before, but I always boil Chard in a separate saucepan and then discard the water before adding to the main dish.

To get rid of the Calcium Oxalates, kidney stones aren't much fun to get.

Reaction score
I might have mentioned this before, but I always boil Chard in a separate saucepan and then discard the water before adding to the main dish.

To get rid of the Calcium Oxalates, kidney stones aren't much fun to get.

Thanks for the heads up on that one. I don't want kidney stones for certain!

Reaction score
Yeah I hear they can be very painful. I will make sure to follow your lead zigs in order to avoid kidney stones. Thanks for the tip.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Apart from that, its a very good veg to eat, apparently we should be lobbing it down the necks of our teenagers

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. They don't eat enough health foods and they need to. Teenagers think that they're invincible and that their health is always going to be good. They don't realize that they need to take care of their bidy because later on down the road all the bad things you have done catch up to you.

Reaction score
For all those, and I think there are many on this forum, that love tomatoes you'll be pleased to know that there are now Rainbow colored tomatoes, which come in just about every variety from cherry to plum :)

rainbow veg tomatoes.jpg

rainbow sliced-heirloom-tomatoes.jpg

Rainbow Heirloom-Tomatoes-6.jpg

If you wishing or planning to grow them, you will also be very pleased to know, that the seeds are widely available online from various well known seed suppliers,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, the tomatoes in the picture in the middle look like a dessert!:D If a child tried them, I'm sure he would be very disappointed, lol:p
I wonder if yellow tomatoes are as tasty as the red ones.

Reaction score
I love colored vegetables and think that these rainbow varieties, would not only look really attractive in the vegetable garden, but would also be a great way of making mundane meals a whole lot more interesting.

These unadulterated Rainbow Colored Vegetables are increasing in popularity, not just because of their novelty value, but because they add interest to any meal and really brighten up bland meals, and they are said to contain much higher levels of vitamins than the regular varieties :)

Some of you may, have already tried or even seen, some of these Rainbow Vegetables for sale in the Supermarkets, but now, they are available for the home gardener. Some of you may well be familiar with some of them, like for instance -

Rainbow Chard - which is really attractive and looks really good, both in the vegetable garden

View attachment 1226

and on a plate :D

View attachment 1227

or you might like to try some Rainbow Beetroot

View attachment 1228

which apart from their amazing color, are said to be much tastier than the regular ones - more versatile too, as the young or baby beets can be eaten raw, and are especially good when chopped and added to salads.

If you are looking for a show stopping vegetable, I think it would, definitely have to be these Rainbow Cauliflowers

View attachment 1230

Growing these cauliflowers, would definitely be a talking point and think they look pretty good, don't you? :) These cauliflowers are said to have a lot more flavor than the regular ones, and the orange one - apparently has a slightly nutty flavor - think they'd certainly make a cauliflower meal - a whole lot more interesting.:D

If you are interested in growing any of these delicious looking vegetables, you'll be pleased to know that the seeds, are currently quite widely available :)
Rainbow chard is beautiful and I love the various colored cauliflowers that you have. Have you ever seen Romanesque (sp?) cauliflower? It looks more like a chunk of coral than cauliflower, really amazing looking!

Reaction score
firelily99 - I have - if this is the one that you mean, known as either Romanesque Cauliflower or Romanesque Broccoli, which is used a lot in Italy and is especially good in salads.

romanesco-cauliflower.jpeg

romansque cauliflower.jpg

Its a truly amazing and almost hard to imagine, that this really is a vegetable, because as you said firelily - it does look, just like coral :)

Reaction score
Wow, that is crazy looking! Does it taste like cauliflower? I am from the States and I have not seen these colorful veggies. I have been to a few "specialty" food stores with organic products and still have not seen anything close to it. Can someone tell me what stores they have found the colorful vegetables? I definitely want to look into growing some! I have not eaten chard, can someone tell me what it is like? I love cabbage, spinach and kale so I assume it would taste similar?

Reaction score
Wow, that is crazy looking! Does it taste like cauliflower? I am from the States and I have not seen these colorful veggies. I have been to a few "specialty" food stores with organic products and still have not seen anything close to it. Can someone tell me what stores they have found the colorful vegetables? I definitely want to look into growing some! I have not eaten chard, can someone tell me what it is like? I love cabbage, spinach and kale so I assume it would taste similar?

Yes it does taste like cauliflower and all have slightly different flavors from each other, am surprised that you haven't seen these rainbow colored vegetables in The States yet, especially as I'm told that, they are now much more widely available where you are than elsewhere, although I have noticed that Europe is now not far behind.
If you want to grow them, you will find that all the seeds for the rainbow vegetables mentioned in here, are all very widely available to buy online.
As you like cabbage, spinach and kale, am sure that you will enjoy the flavor of chard - although the flavor is difficult to describe, my best description of it, would be that it tastes like a a mixture of all three

Reaction score
I am definitely keeping my eye out for the rainbow veggies. Maybe I can not find any due to the region I live in. I live in the South, so we might be the last to get anything good. I would rather buy the seeds and grow it myself, anyway. I feel more accomplished that way, and things you grow yourself always seems to taste better!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The Romanesque Cauliflower is so pretty! I wish it didn't taste like a cauliflower. I've never been a big fan of cauliflowers, in my opinion they're quite disgusting, especially if they're cooked. It looks absolutely stunning though, it might make an interesting table decoration:p

Reaction score
The Romanesque Cauliflower is so pretty! I wish it didn't taste like a cauliflower. I've never been a big fan of cauliflowers, in my opinion they're quite disgusting, especially if they're cooked. It looks absolutely stunning though, it might make an interesting table decoration:p

Yes , I would agree, I think it would make a really stunning table decoration, especially as it looks nothing like a cauliflower but more like a piece of coral :D sadly though, it does although much milder, still taste like cauliflower :(
This particular cauliflower is used a lot in Italian cooking and especially in salads, because when served raw its sweeter and softer than the normal cauliflowers and have to say, that although I'm not particularly fond of cauliflower I did actually quite like it, the way Italians use it - but am not sure, if that was due to the delicious sauces and dressings that went with it or the cauliflower itself :D

Ask a Question