Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
most of the time they have power tools also. if it's like here, there no telling what you'll find.

I will definitely have to take a look if they have tools. I'm in the market for a few things to help me with a few projects I want to undertake. I may try and go out that way next week while I have a little down time.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My area has not had a lot of rain. April is usually a month full of rainy days but not this year. Not much rain so far this month either. If it does not rain more we may be looking at a dry summer. The weather report indicated it would rain but the little bit we got was not enough to help with a good soaking of the ground.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Total opposite here. Please, please, please rain! I think we are at 2.5ish inches for the year. We should be 3-4 times that much by now, and that is in top of the other years of drought. Last Friday we had .5 inches of rain measured at our airport. That was the most rain on a May Day since 2006.

We are supposed to have a storm starting today and going into tomorrow. It could bring as much as 1.25 inches to the coast and maybe a bit more where I live. The mountains above 8000 feet or so could get a foot of snow. That would really help us.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I've never heard it these....I should get out more! But what a great idea. Something I could do myself so I'll look into it. Thanks very much got the information and inspiration. I've wanted a water tank but hubbie not keen so this I can do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My area has not had a lot of rain. April is usually a month full of rainy days but not this year. Not much rain so far this month either. If it does not rain more we may be looking at a dry summer. The weather report indicated it would rain but the little bit we got was not enough to help with a good soaking of the ground.

I hope that changes soon! We finally dried out for a bit and now we're expecting a week's worth of rainy weather again beginning tomorrow. In fact, there's a 50% chance by 8 am. I hope I can get a few transplants completed before it comes down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Total opposite here...

We are supposed to have a storm starting today and going into tomorrow. It could bring as much as 1.25 inches to the coast and maybe a bit more where I live. The mountains above 8000 feet or so could get a foot of snow. That would really help us.

Where do you live? There are mountains near you in zone 10b?

We just experienced the fifth wettest April on record. It's nice to have finally dried out and experienced some lovely spring weather. There was a quick shower in my neighborhood the other day that only contributed to raising the humidity and making things oppressively hot. Fortunately, it was short-lived.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Where do you live? There are mountains near you in zone 10b?

I live in the San Diego, California area. I am a couple of miles east of the city. If I were to drive about 15-20 minutes west I would be at the ocean, and 45-60 minutes east/north i would be over a mile high in mountains, 1.5 hours east I would be in the desert.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I live in the San Diego, California area. I am a couple of miles east of the city. If I were to drive about 15-20 minutes west I would be at the ocean, and 45-60 minutes east/north i would be over a mile high in mountains, 1.5 hours east I would be in the desert.

Ah, okay; that explains it! California is a whole other universe when it comes to terrain and climates. Can you see the mountains from home or are there too many buildings in the way?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
It is too late for me to ask rain to go away because it has already destroyed our mango crop. : :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It is too late for me to ask rain to go away because it has already destroyed our mango crop. : :(

Oh, no! That is terrible! Will the trees recover? Can you amend the drainage somehow (a major undertaking I am sure) to prevent this happening with future mango crops? How big of an area of mango are you growing?

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Ah, okay; that explains it! California is a whole other universe when it comes to terrain and climates. Can you see the mountains from home or are there too many buildings in the way?

I can't see the mountains from my house. I live in a hilly area that slopes up to the east. I have better views to the north west.

Here is a picture I just took. I am on the 11th floor of a new 45 store building I am working on. Can't see the mountains though because it is cloudy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Oh, no! That is terrible! Will the trees recover? Can you amend the drainage somehow (a major undertaking I am sure) to prevent this happening with future mango crops? How big of an area of mango are you growing?

Not the trees but the crop.

Reaction score
I love and hate the rain at the same time. For some reason the rain affects me physically :eek: I get pain in certain joints and sometimes even migraine. I hope you managed to get a nice break from rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in the Pacific Northwest and we are notorious for our rainfall. I am shocked that we have not had any rain here in the last couple of weeks. It is a wonderful respite from all the rain we had over the winter. Water cisterns are very popular here these days as people are looking for ways to be more self sustaining. Plain garbage cans make nice rain water collection devices and you can just cover them with a small screen to keep leaves and debris out. With a garbage can, you can even paint and decorate it so that they become a form of yard art in a way.

Ask a Question