Something to do when it's raining.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
After potting up our new roses, it was too wet to do any serious gardening today.

I like to teach myself to play a few new tunes each month, it make up for those older ones I've forgotten how to play!

Neil Sedaka, recorded "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" as an up-tempo pop song in 1962.
in 1975 he re-recorded it as a more sophisticated slow romantic ballad.

The first bit will remind you of the original recording.

https://app.box.com/s/resgyegm2rxc2e5qsxksp9rfagv2im3w

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For me, I caught up with tons of gardening programmes, The British Garden Revival - lovely to see Levens Hall and others. Then there are the The 100K built house, Stately Homes and Around the world in 80 gardens...

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Sean. What a lovely hobby for you. :)(y)

Bron and I watch many 60's YouTube videos of these brilliant artists; we never tire of them.

http://songs-tube.net/111356-Neil Sedaka-Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.html

Here's what I get up to when my personal cloud Blackie prevents working outside; I was in the workshop just after 8 o'clock this morning and have just knocked off for a brew. I'm restoring two coach lamps; keeping busy beats keeping bored. :D Time I got cracking again before another day slips by.

Kind regards, Colin.

Coach lamps._002.JPG

Rusty vintage coach lamp one of two I bought for £3 the pair.

Coach lamps._004.JPG

2.5mm thick aluminium is nice metal to work with.

Coach lamps._005.JPG

Coming along nicely but a bit more physical than your hobby Sean?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As I am getting older and see the effects of age on the mental capacity of others my age, I strive to keep my brain active. Now that it is dark at 5pm I have gone back to doing crossword puzzles and jigsaw puzzles. I hope that by spending my leisure time taxing my brain that I will have several more useful years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
As I am getting older and see the effects of age on the mental capacity of others my age, I strive to keep my brain active. Now that it is dark at 5pm I have gone back to doing crossword puzzles and jigsaw puzzles. I hope that by spending my leisure time taxing my brain that I will have several more useful years.

I always tackle the Daily Mail "quick crossword." (I call it my senility test). To make it less easy. I make myself work using the letters contained in the first answer I put in. I don't first go through all the clues picking out answers I recognise.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I always tackle the Daily Mail "quick crossword." (I call it my senility test). To make it less easy. I make myself work using the letters contained in the first answer I put in. I don't first go through all the clues picking out answers I recognise.

Doing crossword is actually one of the recommended means to keep dementia at bay! Keep up with the good work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Here's what I get up to when my personal cloud Blackie prevents working outside; I was in the workshop just after 8 o'clock this morning and have just knocked off for a brew. I'm restoring two coach lamps; keeping busy beats keeping bored. :D Time I got cracking again before another day slips by.

Coming along nicely but a bit more physical than your hobby Sean?

How about me walking around four miles, three times a week, hitting a little ball with a variety of sticks?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The nearest I've been to crosswords for years is when I've hit my hand with an hammer? :D

Golf for me YUKKKK but I know many people enjoy playing it; we overlook a big posh golf course the opposite side of the valley; one thing though I do enjoy regarding golf;

It was very funny a few years ago when our neighbour arrived home in his new Porsche; he couldn't get his golf bag into it. :) We shouldn't laugh.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi,

The nearest I've been to crosswords for years is when I've hit my hand with an hammer? :D

Golf for me YUKKKK but I know many people enjoy playing it; we overlook a big posh golf course the opposite side of the valley; one thing though I do enjoy regarding golf;

It was very funny a few years ago when our neighbour arrived home in his new Porsche; he couldn't get his golf bag into it. :) We shouldn't laugh.

Kind regards, Colin.
You are on a roll today @Colin! I was playing at crosswords yesterday before I went and rented a powered drainline auger. It is so true about golf clubs and a porsche. If it were not for the convertible top, my clubs would not fit in Beckys little red car.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Kind regards, Colin.

This reminds me of a few years ago.

I bought Powakaddy tour golf bag on eBay, for less than half price. The vendor was a woman who'd bought it before she realised she couldn't get it in the boot of her Mercedes sports car..

I have a Honda CRV, plenty of room for a tour bag and my leccy golf trolley.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks DirtMechanic; I've enjoyed today in spite of the dire weather; I've just come out of the workshop after a metal spinning session. Time to buy Becky a bigger car? :)

Nice one Sean. Bron and I have the Skoda Yeti so plenty of space for my lathes and other toys I buy. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I like to do word searches and singing to the Carpenters and a bit of George Michael. know some Simply Red and Queen, Especially Bohemian rhapsody.

I confess to having some vinyl albums by the Carpenters

"Now and Then,"
"A Song For You"
"Close To You"

But I have more by Carole King, of that era.

I like Karen's "Johnny Angel." It's on "Now and Then."

I've the original by Shelley Fabares on a 45 rpm record, in one of my jukeboxes.

But I like playing it myself.

https://app.box.com/s/aq05ebxeem413wwk2beim311fcgmm9rz

Ask a Question