Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love and hate the rain at the same time. For some reason the rain affects me physically :eek: I get pain in certain joints and sometimes even migraine. I hope you managed to get a nice break from rain.

The weather has been great! I've been getting a lot done in my garden and in those of others I've started working in. Of course, the rain has returned, but usually I can get up early enough to get some work in before the showers start up again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I live in the Pacific Northwest and we are notorious for our rainfall. I am shocked that we have not had any rain here in the last couple of weeks. It is a wonderful respite from all the rain we had over the winter. Water cisterns are very popular here these days as people are looking for ways to be more self sustaining. Plain garbage cans make nice rain water collection devices and you can just cover them with a small screen to keep leaves and debris out. With a garbage can, you can even paint and decorate it so that they become a form of yard art in a way.

I'm leaning toward garbage cans as a temporary measure for storage. Leaves aren't a real issue unless I leave a container near the Japanese magnolia tree. I just need something to put the water in once it's collected so I don't get mosquito larvae. I use the water pretty quickly once the rain stops and the heat sets in again. Eventually I'll move up to a cistern.

Reaction score
The weather has been great! I've been getting a lot done in my garden and in those of others I've started working in. Of course, the rain has returned, but usually I can get up early enough to get some work in before the showers start up again.

That sounds wonderful! Are you working in other gardens? :O How exciting! Over here the weather has been very predictable the last few days, the other day was a bit cloudy and rained a bit but not for too long :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That sounds wonderful! Are you working in other gardens? :O How exciting! Over here the weather has been very predictable the last few days, the other day was a bit cloudy and rained a bit but not for too long :)

Yes, Trellum. I went in to work for a meeting a few Fridays ago, and while I was waiting for it to begin I decided to check my email. You can only check work email at work and I had been off for a few days. Well, as I said, it was a Friday - there was an email from HR that the season was ending on Friday.

Long story short, I posted this news to my gardening group and two people offered me work. I've been so busy I haven't even had time to look for another job.

Reaction score
Oh no! But at least now you got two serious job offers, that is good! Don't worry, you are a very talented gardener, I'm sure you weill end up finding another good job in the same field. Once you are more free I'm sure you will be able to find something good, when I'm busy and in a hurry to finish something I can't think straight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm leaning toward garbage cans as a temporary measure for storage. Leaves aren't a real issue unless I leave a container near the Japanese magnolia tree. I just need something to put the water in once it's collected so I don't get mosquito larvae. I use the water pretty quickly once the rain stops and the heat sets in again. Eventually I'll move up to a cistern.

Probably the cheapest way to hold the water until you are ready to use it is to get those big blue water cooler jugs that are used to hold water you get from dispensers at offices and such. People get rid of those all the time and you really don't even need a lid for them, just saran wrap and rubber band the rims and bugs will stay out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Probably the cheapest way to hold the water until you are ready to use it is to get those big blue water cooler jugs that are used to hold water you get from dispensers at offices and such. People get rid of those all the time and you really don't even need a lid for them, just saran wrap and rubber band the rims and bugs will stay out.

I actually have a couple of those. I usually use them to collect the water that gets evaporated from the central air unit, which I then use to water the plants. I think it's better to store the water in something that doesn't let light through so that you don't have to worry about algae as much.

Ask a Question