Rain rain go away!

Reaction score
Usually we would welcome the rain and I know it is usually good for your garden. We have had too much rain this June tho and my pepper plants are getting yellow leaves at the bottom and my poor pea plants are not looking very lively.

So far in June we have had more rain then we usually do all summer! Of course today they are calling for more thunderstorms too. We did have a nice weekend, but that was after massive amounts of rain. It rained so much the last couple weeks that water started to come into our basement from a few inches under ground! It started coming in by the pipes and we never had this happen, even during hurricanes. The ground just couldn't handle how much we had.

Hoping it will stay dry for a little bit for my plants, they haven't needed to be watered since May.

Reaction score
I love, love ,love rain but it's been a little excessive this month for me too.
We had some flooding and power outages earlier this month in my area.
The tow trucks did a brisk business as many people's cars were underwater in parking garages.

The past couple of days have been brutally hot and I've been staying indoors trying to beat the heat. It's always feast or famine, torrential rain or the sun beating down on my head. I would love a few days of moderate weather.

Reaction score
I love, love ,love rain but it's been a little excessive this month for me too.
We had some flooding and power outages earlier this month in my area.
The tow trucks did a brisk business as many people's cars were underwater in parking garages.

The past couple of days have been brutally hot and I've been staying indoors trying to beat the heat. It's always feast or famine, torrential rain or the sun beating down on my head. I would love a few days of moderate weather.

We actually haven't had many hot days here thankfully. I haven't run the ac since the end of May which is a little odd here. Usually we get a few hotter days. I am not complaining there tho! My poor plants need a break from all the water. It knocked all but one pepper off of my pepper plants and my pea plants probably won't recover, they are looking like they drowned.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not too much this month so far, unlike last year which was the second wettest year ever in the UK.

Reaction score
Not too much this month so far, unlike last year which was the second wettest year ever in the UK.

According to the national weather data our state has had 11 days so far in June with rain and our totals for just June are about 6 inches of rain. And yup a thunderstorm is on it's way as we can hear the thunder so I guess the data will now be 12 days with rain. Definitely more then we are used to in June!

Crazy weather all over the last couple years huh?

Edit: my mistake, I was looking at the wrong part of our state. So far it is closer to 8 inches of rain for June, I realized I was looking at the South half at first and we are in the North half.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Please send us some rain the garden badly needs it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my country it was raining non stop for almost two weeks, we were all very scared that it may cause a flood. Fortunately it stopped a few days ago and now it's really hot and sunny. I hope that soon you'll have a nice weather in your area too.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Crazy weather all over the last couple years huh?

Our Government just called an emergency meeting of climatologists to try to work out whats happening.

In the past 20 years we've had, coldest, wettest, driest, hottest since records began.

They are now starting to take into account Solar output, which is at its lowest both in heat and radio activity since we started measuring it 50 years ago.

If it goes into a hibernation period we are all stuffed.:eek:

Reaction score
Its raining buckets here too.. my poor plants are looking like they could use some sun. My succulents have been under the lights for a couple of days and are looking better I think. But I don't have the infrastructure to have all my plants under the grow lights. It does look brighter today and I hope we will have some sun shine this afternoon.

Reaction score
Our Government just called an emergency meeting of climatologists to try to work out whats happening.

In the past 20 years we've had, coldest, wettest, driest, hottest since records began.

They are now starting to take into account Solar output, which is at its lowest both in heat and radio activity since we started measuring it 50 years ago.

If it goes into a hibernation period we are all stuffed.:eek:

People think that climate change AKA global warming is just a fiction that environmentalists made up, but we're seeing the evidence of it in the extreme weather conditions around the world. I was watching a travel show where a glacier broke in half with a deafening crack ,not that far from where the host was talking.
People are just going to keep wasting resources and polluting until something dramatic happens.

Reaction score
Around here the strawberry crops were ruined by excessive rain; I think it was 7 or 8 inches more than usual. As we get more extreme weather, we're going to see more and more crops failing.

I worry that climate change has been ignored for so long there may be little we can really do now. (Which is not to say we shouldn't try!)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We're getting wetter weather as the Atlantic is warming up, but the systems that normally push the jet stream further north are breaking down, meaning cold arctic air has been dominating us.

We will see more weather extremes, but I wouldn't worry too much about CO2 levels rising, they are currently 400 parts per million, in the Jurassic period they were 2100 ppm.

Yes the sea levels were higher as there was no ice, but we were by no means underwater.

Now the alternative is that the ice sheets start rolling again, its only been 10,000 years since they were like this,

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ex...yo.com%2FWhats_New%2Fwhats.new.2.html;937;662

And that's just a blink of an eye geologically.

Bear in mind that for a couple hundred miles south of the ice sheet the ground would be permafrost, can we really afford to loose that much land? And where would you put the entire population of Canada and Northern Europe?

Reaction score
People think that climate change AKA global warming is just a fiction that environmentalists made up, but we're seeing the evidence of it in the extreme weather conditions around the world. I was watching a travel show where a glacier broke in half with a deafening crack ,not that far from where the host was talking.
People are just going to keep wasting resources and polluting until something dramatic happens.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't believe in the global warming and then there are people who have the "who cares about the future" attitude. I think I know the glacier you are talking about, I remember reading something about it. But it wasn't all over the news either so many people have no idea what was going on.

As technology advances, the poor Earth seems to be hurt more and more. Not that technology is all to blame, but people are often more concerned with their technology gadgets then worrying about helping out the planet.

Reaction score
Please send us some rain the garden badly needs it.

Believe me, I wish I could do that! We actually had a dry day today and hopefully the next couple days too. This is the first time I have ever had water in the basement here, even during hurricanes that produced 6 inches of rain in one day didn't bring water in the basement! But the ground was just drowning here and it couldn't hold anymore. There was a little bit of mud and dirty water from the ground seeping in around the pipes. And we have all sidewalk out front and then the pavement from the road, you know that is bad!

There is one tree out front of our house and it is in an opening in the sidewalk that is about 2 feet wide, otherwise no dirt or grass until you cross the road. So you can imagine how bad the yard and garden out back got when the ground out front under all that got soaked through.

Ask a Question