Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
For at least just one day? My next day off is on Friday and I am hoping for a break from the rain. It's 8:30 in the morning and it's actually darker out now than it was when I first woke up this morning. This is one time I am happy that my plants (especially the edibles) are in containers and that I switched to a custom soil blend that is nearly two parts compost.

It's too bad I don't have a cistern. By now I probably could have collected a month's worth of water. I'm thinking of getting a couple of large trash cans to stand in as temporary rain barrels. I just need something to filter out the leaves, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We've had a break in the rain here. It hasn't rained in two days! I was starting to worry about roots rotting.

I transplanted a severely rootbound borage plant I got at the nursery last week during a break in the rain yesterday and the roots were a little on the brown side. I'm hoping I caught it in time because the same plant had wilted almost as soon as I got it home, despite being watered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like when it's raining:) Listening to raindrops knocking on windows is better than listening to music. All my plants are grown indoors anyway, so I don't really care about the weather outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bah, sorry to hear about your bad weather Chanell :( It's been pretty nice here recently, but our water butt is really low so I hope we get a good proper downpour soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I hope friday is good to you. Sounds like you are getting lots of hours at work so you must be doing a fantastic job. Great going girl!!!

Reaction score
we got so much rain here that 2 of my tanks eventually started to collapse from the ground getting too soft. so even though we're getting plenty of rain (something like 7 out of 9 days and more forcasted for nearly every day this week), i've had to drain them until i can get some structure under them again.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
we got so much rain here that 2 of my tanks eventually started to collapse from the ground getting too soft. so even though we're getting plenty of rain (something like 7 out of 9 days and more forcasted for nearly every day this week), i've had to drain them until i can get some structure under them again.

If they kept sinking you could pretend they were underground storage chambers :)

Reaction score
that would make it easier, but with no pump on them i need the height for gravity. i'm looking at maybe railroad ties or 6x6 lumber if i can find/afford it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
that would make it easier, but with no pump on them i need the height for gravity. i'm looking at maybe railroad ties or 6x6 lumber if i can find/afford it.

Do you have a local Freecycle group?

Reaction score
i've heard of that, but i've never looked into it local. i've been looking on craigslist mostly. since it just happened last week i'm still kinda idea gathering for how to rebuild the set up.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DSCN0993.JPG

The one here has kinda melted with the weight of the water in it, it's half empty at the moment, will have to rearrange it when its empty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I hope your borage gets better, ChanellG :)

It seems to be fine, but if you've grown it, or know anything about it, it's top heavy and tends to flop over. I plan on getting a support for it to be able to keep it's head up, so to speak.

I like when it's raining:) Listening to raindrops knocking on windows is better than listening to music. All my plants are grown indoors anyway, so I don't really care about the weather outside.

How much do you enjoy the rain when it is continuous, floods the roads, and keeps you from doing things for days on end?

Ask a Question