Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
22 July 2018 My Rain Gauge.
Posted on July 22, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/July 2018/22 July 2018 My Rain Gauge/HTML/22 July 2018 My Rain Gauge.
The rain that accumulates in the wheelbarrow is my measurement of how much rain is received. This was a drizzle off and on of about 12 hours. It is not enough, but is still overcast and drizzling. A good rain is when the wheelbarrow is about half full. It has been droughty most of July. The corn fields are suffering. The leaves are pointed and folding. My garden is still healthy since I water sparingly periodically.
001_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I am not averse to watering freely, if conditions dictate.
Because we have drought, many of our crop yields are below normal, French beans are dry and stringy even when small, and potato crops are in trouble in Ireland, where high soil temperatures, combined with no rain, mean they have stopped growing, and are at least a month behind.
We are facing a hosepipe ban, starting on August 5th, but watering food crops in your garden or allotment is exempt, as is the use of drip-feed systems on timers.

By the way, our service provider, United Utilities, wastes 430,000,000 litres a day in our area, 60 litres per day for every person (not household) in the region (7m). There are approx. 2.3m households in the area, and with many of them being flats (apartments), that is enough water for everyone with a garden to water freely for one hour per week.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...perts-say-plug-leaks-rewarding-investors.html

Last edited:

Ask a Question