Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Bah, sorry to hear about your bad weather Chanell :( It's been pretty nice here recently, but our water butt is really low so I hope we get a good proper downpour soon.
I hope friday is good to you. Sounds like you are getting lots of hours at work so you must be doing a fantastic job. Great going girl!!!

Thank you both!

I'd happily send you some rain, Becky, if I could! I'm on the hunt for a reasonably priced cistern or at least a good sized rain barrel.

Things are going well at work, Lori. I try to do a good job and occasionally I get some good feedback. It's a temporary position for the season though; not sure if anything permanent will open up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
we got so much rain here that 2 of my tanks eventually started to collapse from the ground getting too soft. so even though we're getting plenty of rain (something like 7 out of 9 days and more forcasted for nearly every day this week), i've had to drain them until i can get some structure under them again.

Yikes! I'm fortunate to live on high ground, but it is getting a bit mucky out there. Been thinking of doing some hardscaping around the back just to be able to maneuver better.

You can send some my way please, there's been no rain here for weeks apart from a drop or two.

Would love to as it's STILL raining and forecasted to do so for at least two more days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
i've heard of that, but i've never looked into it local. i've been looking on craigslist mostly. since it just happened last week i'm still kinda idea gathering for how to rebuild the set up.

Check for a Habitat Restore as well. They sell building materials left over from those community builds when they put up houses. I've never been to the one here, but it's all supposed to be at discounted prices.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
View attachment 5180

The one here has kinda melted with the weight of the water in it, it's half empty at the moment, will have to rearrange it when its empty.

This is the trouble with plastics. I collect the water in open bins and then "bottle" it in old water jugs, but I'd like a large(r) reservoir outdoors someplace that I can filter and dump the water into. Also looking into other means for collection.

Reaction score
Check for a Habitat Restore as well. They sell building materials left over from those community builds when they put up houses. I've never been to the one here, but it's all supposed to be at discounted prices.

i'm in the habitat store probaly at least once a week. there's one on my way to work and a couple others i try to get by if i'm wandering around on the weekend. i got some of the plumbing for my tanks there, amoung other things. great place to wander around in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
View attachment 5180

The one here has kinda melted with the weight of the water in it, it's half empty at the moment, will have to rearrange it when its empty.

can you get those palletised water tanks over there? here they have big square tanks with a metal cage around them, usually about 250-275gal (i think the 275gal is about 1000liters), sitting on a wood or metal pallet. as long as you're not worried about drinking water they're great if you can find a good deal on one. i ended up with 3 because i got a really good price if i brought them together. i've seen them as low as $20 here for one that would have to be cleaned out. i got mine for $40 a piece.

Picture146-1.jpg

you might think who needs that much water, but it's so nice to hardly need the tap water for anything in the back yard. i'm actually hoping to pick up one more as part of the rebuild. the two on the right are the ones that collapsed. i had them on bricks like the one on the left. whatever i do will be my third try at setting them up so i want to do a little better this time.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen them used for weighing down scaffolding that has sheeting that acts as a wind load.

$40 is a good price.

You can never have enough stored water, especially when tap water is metered :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
i'm in the habitat store probaly at least once a week. there's one on my way to work and a couple others i try to get by if i'm wandering around on the weekend. i got some of the plumbing for my tanks there, amoung other things. great place to wander around in.

I'll have to make it a point to check out the one here. I've driven past before, but never had the time to stop. Before I start getting building materials though I have to pick up a few power tools.

Very funny @Sheal (she said sarcastically.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
can you get those palletised water tanks over there? here they have big square tanks with a metal cage around them, usually about 250-275gal (i think the 275gal is about 1000liters), sitting on a wood or metal pallet. as long as you're not worried about drinking water they're great if you can find a good deal on one. i ended up with 3 because i got a really good price if i brought them together. i've seen them as low as $20 here for one that would have to be cleaned out. i got mine for $40 a piece.
you might think who needs that much water, but it's so nice to hardly need the tap water for anything in the back yard. i'm actually hoping to pick up one more as part of the rebuild. the two on the right are the ones that collapsed. i had them on bricks like the one on the left. whatever i do will be my third try at setting them up so i want to do a little better this time.

Turn your blocks over like shown below, it will make the tanks way more stable. Those blocks are designed to be stacked on the side as shown below.

Philphine1_zpscb2pyj2a.jpg

Reaction score
I'll have to make it a point to check out the one here. I've driven past before, but never had the time to stop. Before I start getting building materials though I have to pick up a few power tools.

most of the time they have power tools also. if it's like here, there no telling what you'll find.

Reaction score
Turn your blocks over like shown below, it will make the tanks way more stable. Those blocks are designed to be stacked on the side as shown below.

Philphine1_zpscb2pyj2a.jpg

i think i did have them turned sideways on the other two. i don't remember now. that was an older pic. the other two were on the ground here. then bricks and 2x4's later, when one of the pallets they were on kind of fell apart. that was the set up that started to sink in unevenly. since the single one is still ok i'm going to let the other two sit unused while i figure out something better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
i think i did have them turned sideways on the other two. i don't remember now. that was an older pic. the other two were on the ground here. then bricks and 2x4's later, when one of the pallets they were on kind of fell apart. that was the set up that started to sink in unevenly. since the single one is still ok i'm going to let the other two sit unused while i figure out something better.

If they are sinking on you, get a cap block (shown below) to put down first and then stack the 8"x8"x16" blocks on the cap blocks.

8d1d75ba-5b65-4a9e-8dff-3ca24aeeec54_400.jpg

Ask a Question