Potting soil blends.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Who here makes their own potting soil blends?
I would very much like to learn more about nutrients and specific plant needs, and potentially start my own business selling bags of custom blended soil.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
i-am-raising.jpg

Welcome. Yes, I make my own soil blends. I find it far superior to commercial products. It starts with well composted cow manure, a little topsoil, then I add in green manure and compost it all again.

This mix tests out at "No N/P/K required" and nutrient density score well above 90%. If I were younger, I would do what you are contemplating and go commercial. There is a huge need for safe high quality organic soil mix products.

I wish you great success!

See the thread for details, if interested:

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Who here makes their own potting soil blends?
I would very much like to learn more about nutrients and specific plant needs, and potentially start my own business selling bags of custom blended soil.
Mostly I make compost and use it to modify my soil. Potting soil for most people who make their own is sifted compost.
It's best to build compost bins and start recycling all your organic waste that way. As far as nutrients goes a lot depends on the quality of ingredients in the compost mix. Lucerne, comfrey, stinging nettles, manures, legumes, human food waste, coffee grounds, wood ash and eggshells are all potent nutritionally.
The most powerful and most mysterious ingredient is life. Worm farms produce vermicast and vermifluid - the poo and wee of worms - that are strong and pathogen free fertilizers. The 'hot' compost smokes because so many microbes are working on the organic matter that it heats up to 60C (140F). All the detritus eaters (slates, earwigs, beetles and cockroaches) are at work on the decaying matter and their burrowing, defecation, carcasses and activity aerate and granulate the soil.
Additives like hormones, mineral salts, micronutrients, water crystals, seaweed, microbial inoculants, fish emulsion, gypsum, zeolite, blood and bone etc. add to the cost of the potting mix.
This could be a long topic. LOL.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are all rooting hormones the same or would I only need one kind?
Would multiple types of rooting hormones increase plant growth rate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do I go about measuring the correct amount of nutrients/hormones/bio ingredients in a soil mix?
Such as bone meal or copper?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm using my mix which is 1 part Peat Moss, 1 part Vermiculite, 1 part Compost and 1 part Top soil. I also mix in Microlife Fertilizer and some Lime.

It holds water so you have to watch your Water.

It must be pretty good because the plants seem to like. Roots are going crazy.

Right now I mixing half mix and using 2 parts of soil from repotting and replace Fertilizer and Lime.

Later on if I seem to have too much just mix Fertilizer and Lime in.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have used many things other than clay.
Rather that coconut fiber, coconut chunks and vermiculite can be combined seemed to make for very good aeration.

Ask a Question