Super Duper Compost

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I’ve been experimenting with building a super compost made up of high nitrogen fixing green Sunn Hemp and aged cow manure. The basic technique for building I’ve found that works best is to chop up the green Sunn Hemp with garden shears, plant roots and all in a thick layer, then cover with a layer of cow compost.

Repeat this same layering until the container is full. I then set it aside to compost naturally with a cover in place to help reduce any loss of nitrogen to the atmosphere.

super compost 2.JPG

This approach yields a super compost that looks and feels absolutely wonderful.

super compost 3.JPG

More importantly, it tests out at “No N-P-K required” and a nutrient density score of 91%. That kind of stuff is capable of growing anything without the need for any synthetic fertilizers. The soil test results are shown below in the following table.

Nutrient
Your Results
Optimal Range
Rating
pH
6.37​
5.8-7.0​
Optimal​
Total Nitrogen (N)
38.91​
32.0-60.0​
Optimal​
Nitrate (NO3-N)
30.14​
-​
-​
Ammonium (NH4-N)
8.77​
-​
-​
Phosphorus (P)
31.59​
8.0-20.0​
High​
Potassium (K)
114.79​
38.0-80.0​
High​
Sulfur (S)
9.92​
7.0-22.0​
Optimal​
Calcium (Ca)
83.01​
80.0-320.0​
Optimal​
Magnesium (Mg)
33.68​
27.0-70.0​
Optimal​
Sodium (Na)
13.81​
0.5-30.0​
Optimal​
Iron (Fe)
1.27​
3.0-10.0​
Low​
Manganese (Mn)
4.7​
4.0-10.0​
Optimal​
Zinc (Zn)
0.17​
0.1-0.25​
Optimal​
Copper (Cu)
0.03​
0.06-0.3​
Low​
Boron (B)
0.01​
0.2-0.6​
Low​

I’m not sure what to call this super mixture of green manure, cow manure, and soil roots but have found it to be incredible growing stuff. I’m using it as a mulch and soil rebuilder but haven’t figured a way yet to make large amounts of it, but I’m working on that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, I will take a dump truck load if you have any extra. That looks super and would be perfect to add to a garden. I bet the only problem you have is finding a place for all the produce you harvest every year. I love watching your threads and posts Meadowlark thanks for the information.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Wow, I will take a dump truck load if you have any extra.
Thanks, but that's kind of the problem now. I have only a couple of five-gallon buckets full of this stuff remaining. I've got to find a way to make this in quantity.

Next year, I have to time it so that the Sunn Hemp which only grows during very warm temps is available when the cow compost is available.

So, instead of applying cow compost to my garden in spring, I will save several yards of cow compost back and when it gets to be this time of year begin mixing in shredded Sunn Hemp and then compost it all into one huge pile of super-duper stuff.

Someone could make some real money doing this...but not me. I'm too old, lol.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Do you think it would work the same making a pile and covering it with a large tarp instead of using buckets?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, a large tarp would help solve part of the problem...but the largest problem is lack of automation. Hand shredding and layering works for small amounts but not real practical for many yards of material.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes, a large tarp would help solve part of the problem...but the largest problem is lack of automation. Hand shredding and layering works for small amounts but not real practical for many yards of material.

It doesn't help if someone doesn't have one but I have one of those straight bar Stihl weed eaters with 3 blades on it instead of the plastic string stuff. I cuts sunflower stocks into pieces in seconds, use it to cut my tomato and pepper plants up, I even use it to trim the side of my hedge sometimes. It would work great for that sun hemp stuff I imagine.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If I was going to do it to make money (if I had the land required for that amount) I would buy a bush hog to tow behind the tractor. (If I had a tractor lol).

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@Meadowlark off topic for a second but I wanted to say you should post that pic of your garden pond in the photo of the month contest. This month is "water" and that pond you have is about as serene as it gets. It's all for fun, win or lose it's an awesome pond and worth sharing. Up to you, just thought I would mention that if you are interested.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Bush hogs are fine for "chop and drop" and I do a lot of that currently on Sunn Hemp, cow peas, alfalfa, etc. in my garden. In fact, I have a 14 x 80 section of garden in 10 ft tall Sunn Hemp right now that needs to be shredded in the next couple of weeks. I'll use a 4 ft shredder on that to make short work of it.

The way I envision making this super compost in quantity, however, would be hiring a custom baler to mow the hemp with a disc/drum mower and use a rake and tedder to row it into windrows and then actually bale it into large round bales which I can then move to place in compost piles using my front-end loader.

Then make huge layers of the "hay" and cow manure for composting. I have a small dozer which works great at moving and mixing big piles of compost. Then when it is all well composted, if I were going to sell it for profit, I would need a "bagger" machine and some fancy bags to hold about 50 pounds or so of compost 1 cu yard each. I'm confident I could sell all I could make.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just started one today. I am using a blue recycling bin because that is all I have for now that isn't in use and I don't have sunn hemp so I am using whatever green I can find that is no longer producing or that I didn't already cut for a chop and drop. Horse manure instead of cow manure. It's basically how I do some of my compost but with the lack of oxygen. Next year I'll definitely try growing some sunny hemp.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
By the way, crab grass is excellent in compost...loaded with Nitrogen. If not hot composting, remove the seed heads. Often overlooked or hated but it is great in compost roots and all. No kidding, it is actually good stuff in compost.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
By the way, crab grass is excellent in compost...loaded with Nitrogen. If not hot composting, remove the seed heads. Often overlooked or hated but it is great in compost roots and all. No kidding, it is actually good stuff in compost.
I'm sure it is but I have a deep personal hate for grass lol, it's turned much of humanity into mindless loud lawnmower pushing zombies that get no gain from growing it other then pointless work that adds zero originality to their property. Lol.. I seriously hate the shit and hope people become more original in their lives and plant something different then 🥱 grass lol. Unfortunately to keep up the value of my home and property I must be a sheeple and grow the crap too lol. But I draw the line when it comes to promoting it's worthless growth in my garden lol.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm sure it is but I have a deep personal hate for grass lol, it's turned much of humanity into mindless loud lawnmower pushing zombies that get no gain from growing it other then pointless work that adds zero originality to their property. Lol.. I seriously hate the shit and hope people become more original in their lives and plant something different then 🥱 grass lol. Unfortunately to keep up the value of my home and property I must be a sheeple and grow the crap too lol. But I draw the line when it comes to promoting it's worthless growth in my garden lol.
I agree. Some blokes around here mow their two-acre paddocks twenty times a year. They say it's for the fire danger, but they have huge tree clusters close to their house and shed.
Good topic. I import 5 cu yards of cow or chook manure each year for mulching/top dressing and layering into the compost bins. Can't you just import the manure if it's holding up the process?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve been experimenting with building a super compost made up of high nitrogen fixing green Sunn Hemp and aged cow manure. The basic technique for building I’ve found that works best is to chop up the green Sunn Hemp with garden shears, plant roots and all in a thick layer, then cover with a layer of cow compost.

Repeat this same layering until the container is full. I then set it aside to compost naturally with a cover in place to help reduce any loss of nitrogen to the atmosphere.

View attachment 99421

This approach yields a super compost that looks and feels absolutely wonderful.

View attachment 99422

More importantly, it tests out at “No N-P-K required” and a nutrient density score of 91%. That kind of stuff is capable of growing anything without the need for any synthetic fertilizers. The soil test results are shown below in the following table.

Nutrient
Your Results
Optimal Range
Rating
pH
6.37​
5.8-7.0​
Optimal​
Total Nitrogen (N)
38.91​
32.0-60.0​
Optimal​
Nitrate (NO3-N)
30.14​
-​
-​
Ammonium (NH4-N)
8.77​
-​
-​
Phosphorus (P)
31.59​
8.0-20.0​
High​
Potassium (K)
114.79​
38.0-80.0​
High​
Sulfur (S)
9.92​
7.0-22.0​
Optimal​
Calcium (Ca)
83.01​
80.0-320.0​
Optimal​
Magnesium (Mg)
33.68​
27.0-70.0​
Optimal​
Sodium (Na)
13.81​
0.5-30.0​
Optimal​
Iron (Fe)
1.27​
3.0-10.0​
Low​
Manganese (Mn)
4.7​
4.0-10.0​
Optimal​
Zinc (Zn)
0.17​
0.1-0.25​
Optimal​
Copper (Cu)
0.03​
0.06-0.3​
Low​
Boron (B)
0.01​
0.2-0.6​
Low​

I’m not sure what to call this super mixture of green manure, cow manure, and soil roots but have found it to be incredible growing stuff. I’m using it as a mulch and soil rebuilder but haven’t figured a way yet to make large amounts of it, but I’m working on that.
That sounds like an intriguing mix, Sunn Hemp is an excellent green manure and nitrogen fixer, and when combined with cow manure, it must make for a rich compost. The layering technique you mentioned can aid in an even breakdown and nitrogen distribution. Keeping it covered is a smart move to retain nutrients. I'd be keen to see how plants respond to this super compost over time. Keep us updated on your progress!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... Can't you just import the manure if it's holding up the process?
Yes, but I do not like to bring anything into my garden unless I'm certain, 100% certain, that it does not contain harmful chemicals.

Way too many horror stories about herbicide residue in compost killing gardens for years. Not me, not worth the risk.

Ask a Question