Looking for super invasive fruiting plant in zone 9

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Howdy!

The other night as I was pulling weeds at 11pm like a normal person, I realized I have a section that is probably the only area that gets true full sun, and it’s unused! I pull hedges of thick weeds multiple times per season.

So I thought why not plant something equally invasive as the native weeds here but that provides a benefit to me… like blackberries or strawberries and keep them trained to the edges as best I can. Am I asking for trouble? Pics below of the thin patch of space! (On right side of the gate door id have to clear out all the rocks I foolishly dumped there last year)

IMG_7888.jpeg

IMG_7889.jpeg

IMG_7890.jpeg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Blackberries or the native dew berries if you can find them. Dew berries are especially aggressive and relatively low growing...plus they are outstanding in a cobbler! :D

It's common to see folks around the Houston area out in medians and empty spaces picking dew berries in spring. They are delicious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dewberriessss!! Never heard of them, but they look super popular. I’ll check some local specialty nurseries and see if they have some. Thanks for the suggestion!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You might not find them in nurseries because they would rather sell the high priced new varieties...but on just about any ground that isn't regularly mowed/tended they will be there. Very easy to dig up some starts and very unlikely anyone would mind.

Ask a Question