Okra spacing looking for options or ideas to consider

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, ok so here's the situation. I started this okra bed today. It's 10 ft long and 28 inches wide. The local farmers suggest planting 6 inches apart. An what's your opinions, an what would be your goal trying achieve in planting closer or more space apart. Also, do you think the bed height is high enough? We get minor flooding only in certain areas. So, this is to help the plants from flooding mainly. Even if don't follow any members advice, it doesn't mean I think a person ideas are bad. I need advice from people with personal experience an your answers from your research. It's sounds like a simple subject but, I just want to know like your pros an cons. An what do you wish you could have done differently or better. Im soaking some seeds atm will plant tomorrow. I got 10 feet of space to work with how many seeds should I grow? I was thinking that 10 plants or 9..hmm
20230325_124723.jpg
20230325_124719.jpg
20230325_135259.jpg
20230325_135305.jpg
20230325_135312.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I grow my okra in blocks like one does with corn. In your case I would have 2 rows. The seeds about 10 inches apart and about 6 inches from the sides and ends of the bed. About 20 plants

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
.... Even if don't follow any members advice, it doesn't mean I think a person ideas are bad. I need advice from people with personal experience an your answers from your research. ... how many seeds should I grow? I was thinking that 10 plants or 9..hmm

Nice looking bed...but how deep is it? Looks shallow for Okra to me.

By the way, I never post any "advice" that isn't based on my personal hands-on experience. I wish everyone would do that.

Spacing....I plant Okra seeds at about double the rate for the spacing that my experience has shown is best. That would be 5 or 6 inches apart for an end spacing of 10 to 12 inches. Cull seedlings to perfect spacing.

I save my Okra seed every year...very easy to do...and I believe the plants adjust to its surroundings over time making your home grown seeds far more efficient than store bought.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Upon further review, I see your bed is on top of native soil...so my question on depth is not a factor.

By the way, look at the "similar threads" below and specifically the "Chuck's okra" thread for a type that does really well both in East Texas acidic soils and Chuck's more alkaline soils in Central Texas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've always planted my okra down a single row about 12" apart. I only grow about a 20-25' row every year. It will bear all the way up till frost but it will be so high you have to bend it over to cut off the okra.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've always planted my okra down a single row about 12" apart. I only grow about a 20-25' row every year. It will bear all the way up till frost but it will be so high you have to bend it over to cut off the okra.
That is the way I grew okra very successfully for years but I had to stop working my big garden so I took over my wifes flower garden and now plant in blocks. It is a good way to plant almost as much in about the same amount of square feet. But it also depends on the variety of okra. Some varieties naturally grow limbs that start out very close to soil level so one has to increase the distance. Supposedly I am growing this type of okra so I am spacing this variety 2 feet apart. I was given these seeds and this is what was recommended to me. I guess I'll find out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all your tips and advice. I will have to grab another pack of okra emerald seeds. My okra seeds I got soaking in water a pretty old an weak. I had them from years ago. An this variety shouldn't get super tall real fast. From what it appears on that youtubers video hoss. For that reason I most likely will plant closer apart like 6 inches or so. Seeing how the plant structure still had enough space to grow. An my bed is only 28 inches wide. So I will do 1 row, soon I will plant the new seeds.
Upon further review, I see your bed is on top of native soil...so my question on depth is not a factor.

By the way, look at the "similar threads" below and specifically the "Chuck's okra" thread for a type that does really well both in East Texas acidic soils and Chuck's more alkaline soils in Central Texas.
Im in Southern Texas, so it might be a little different over there

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will plant 10 inches apart. An a foot away from the ends. To let them roots have a little bit more space to work with. I will sow seed today didnt have time yesterday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm thinking I might not have enough seedlings started for my okra. I have an area about 16 feet by 18 inches. But we don't use a lot of okra so my dozen or so should be plenty.

The plants last year did branch early and seemed to spread out to close to 18 inches. Does okra mind a little crowding? I'm thinking 12 inches.

Ask a Question