Okra spacing looking for options or ideas to consider

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Heat wave? No problem for okra. Picking 10 gallons a week now about 420 ounces but many are too large so need to pick more often. Is there a more productive veggie in the heat than Okra?
Didn't okra originate in Africa?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Didn't okra originate in Africa?
Yes. There are some interesting accounts of its history online. It originated along Nile in the area recognized today as Ethiopia. Historians believe that the crop spread to Egypt and other parts of North Africa before traveling into the Mediterranean and India. It was brought to America by some accounts as part of the Slave trades.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm down to one row now of Jambalaya and it is producing more per plant than the other types, and almost more than the other three rows were producing combined.... 5.1 ounces per plant per week.

The great thing about Jambalaya is that the quantity is not only high, but the quality as measured by the usability of the pods is extremely high. I'll ride this one row of Jambalaya which has a couple of Big Buck's plants mixed in for a few weeks more before closing it out for the year.

Gotta love Okra!!

okra 5.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Brix reading of 6.5 for the okra. I have no idea if that is good bad or whatever, LOL.

Ask a Question