Uses for okra plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So last year we planted a few okra for fun. I was impressed by how tall and sturdy the stalks were.

Even more impressed when I went to pull the dead but still standing stalks last week.

Planning on putting in more this year and wondering how to take advantage of the sturdiness. Seems like these would be a natural match for pole beans or as a live stake for pepper or tomato plants. I haven't found anything saying these would be good or bad combinations though.

Most recommend cucumbers or melons as companions, letting them sprawl. I let my cucumbers climb and they would certainly be too heavy for the okra.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Those stalks combined with corn stalks make great between the row mulch walkways. That's how I use it.

Okra is definitely one of my favorite veggies in the garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The stem where it meets the root system rots quickly and will not be good for pole beans or anything else the following season. I cut mine off at ground level after first frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
To be clear, I'm not talking about using the dead plants. I'm thinking about how to use them live.

They reached 6 feet last year and needed no support at all. Most were still standing last week though clearly dead.

My peppers tend to be floppy and I'm wondering if I can plant the okra along with the peppers, then tie the peppers to the okra for support.

Or, pair it with pole beans instead of corn.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I doubt that would work because the okra plant while growing to full maturity casts a lot of shade which could well stunt pepper plants.

Corn casts much less of a shadow and I have used pole beans to climb it successfully...but really doubt the shade from the okra would work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I planted some rattlesnake beans with my corn one time as the companion thing. Well they were companions alright because the beans pulled my corn down and I didn't get anything off either.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Won't their roots also be competing if it is close enough to support a tomato, or most other things. When native Americans grew things together like that they built a mound and planted at separate hights.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Won't their roots also be competing if it is close enough to support a tomato, or most other things. When native Americans grew things together like that they built a mound and planted at separate hights.
Roots will compete to a small degree. An okra plant has a deep tap root which feeder roots then extend. Beans, tomatoes, peppers have much shallower root systems but shade is the main issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with @Meadowlark. The okra I grow turns into what looks like a small tree, way too shadowy for beans
Yes I think the okra stem is definitely strong enough but the leaves would put out too much shade for a bean stalk growing up it.

Ask a Question