First time starting seeds indoors- Just looking for advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
So far I have started tomatoes (Bodacious hybrid, big boy, and cherry), peppers (poblanos, japs, bells). Got all my seeds from Burpee. I have a friend that grows the devils lettuce, legally in MI. He gave me a small tent and a light. So that is where I have started these. And where I will start the rest. He also gave me a giant contractor bag of his used soil. He only grows in it once so just pitches it. Seemed like a waste so that's what I used for soil. My light is about 2ft off the plants and is on a smart plug that kicks on at 6am, and off at 8pm. So far so good I guess. Any suggestions from what anyone can deduce from the pic of the seedlings?

20230316_192517.jpg
20230128_080549.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
From what I can see you are doing fairly well. However, I have a little constructive criticism. It appears that your plants are getting leggy, too tall, and this is because the plants are not getting enough light. I don't know what kind of light you are using but I would place the light closer to the plant. The color of the plants is good so the type of light is correct. Another thing is I notice that many of the stems are turning purple. If stems, and only stems, turn purple it is because the plant is not warm enough.

Reaction score
Country
United States
From what I can see you are doing fairly well. However, I have a little constructive criticism. It appears that your plants are getting leggy, too tall, and this is because the plants are not getting enough light. I don't know what kind of light you are using but I would place the light closer to the plant. The color of the plants is good so the type of light is correct. Another thing is I notice that many of the stems are turning purple. If stems, and only stems, turn purple it is because the plant is not warm enough.
Appreciate the feedback. I just read on here about the "leggy" so I will lower the light I have a 4' (4) bulb light running "

AgroMax 8-Pack 4 Foot (45.75") 6,400K Grow T5 Fluorescent Grow Light Bulbs "​

I had thought about getting a heating mat, especially because the tent is in my basement. Tent stays about 70 when the light is on. Basement is 57 most other times, so I imagine that is what the dirt is by the time the lights kick on in the AM.

Before, and after lowering the light just now.

Attachments

• 20230317_085837.jpg
    20230317_085837.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230317_085915.jpg
    20230317_085915.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Appreciate the feedback. I just read on here about the "leggy" so I will lower the light I have a 4' (4) bulb light running "

AgroMax 8-Pack 4 Foot (45.75") 6,400K Grow T5 Fluorescent Grow Light Bulbs "​

I had thought about getting a heating mat, especially because the tent is in my basement. Tent stays about 70 when the light is on. Basement is 57 most other times, so I imagine that is what the dirt is by the time the lights kick on in the AM.

Before, and after lowering the light just now.
You want your soil temperature to be around 68F for optimum growth of seedlings but too warm is better than too cool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK for temps to drop over night? With the light lowered, and an inferred gun, soil is reading 77
Are you speaking of soil SURFACE temperatures or soil temps where the roots of the plants are? You really need a soil thermometer, one that you stick into the soil to accurately determine the temperature. If temps approach 80 you might want to get an oscillating fan to keep temps moderated. Having said this it is normal for nighttime temps to drop the temperature of soil slightly. How much it drops depends on the volume of soil and the ambient temperatures but as long as soil volume is kept above about 65F at night your seedlings will not show any ill effects.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you speaking of soil SURFACE temperatures or soil temps where the roots of the plants are? You really need a soil thermometer, one that you stick into the soil to accurately determine the temperature. If temps approach 80 you might want to get an oscillating fan to keep temps moderated. Having said this it is normal for nighttime temps to drop the temperature of soil slightly. How much it drops depends on the volume of soil and the ambient temperatures but as long as soil volume is kept above about 65F at night your seedlings will not show any ill effects.
Surface temps, and I'm sure soil temps drop below that at night. Heating pads inbound

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Surface temps, and I'm sure soil temps drop below that at night. Heating pads inbound
How are you going to determine the internal soil temps. Are the mats on a regulator/thermostat/timer? When I first got my mats I just about cooked my seeds until I figured out I had to regulate the operation of the mats. So, I put them on a timer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How are you going to determine the internal soil temps. Are the mats on a regulator/thermostat/timer? When I first got my mats I just about cooked my seeds until I figured out I had to regulate the operation of the mats. So, I put them on a timer.
Good info, I have another smart plug I can put them on to cycle on/off. I've got an instant read that should work for the soil ya?

Ask a Question