Wild flower debacle

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband and I have a large soil patch in the yard. We have put down some bags of miracle grow ground cover and grass seeds this past weekend. I’m embarrassed to say that I might have also just sprinkled some wildflowers seeds on this patch today. I thought it would be a lovely addition to the yard. However my husband says the wildflowers will take over the yard and cause unwanted weeds and all sorts of bad grasses. He says we have to remove all the seeds and new dirt and start fresh with laying only grass seeds. Can someone please give me an idea how badly I might have ruined the yard?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
To me, it is a personal choice as to what you both want.

If you are after the classical suburban lawn that competes for yard of the month then the wildflower seeds would not be welcome.

However, if you prefer a more natural looking area vibrant with diversity and beauty then your wildfire seeds would be welcome.

In either case, you haven't ruined the yard. If you decide on the "yard of the month" approach just set your mower low for the first few mowings and the wildflowers will likely disappear.

I hope your creative instincts win out ;) and you go for something with beauty and diversity.

Ask a Question