Cross-Pollination

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all! I've been looking into cross-pollination between different garden plants. Obviously, all cultivars within a given species can and often do (though some are more or less prone than others) cross-pollinate with other cultivars of the same species. Moreover, species within certain genera and even (perhaps) certain families can cross-pollinate with other species of the same genera and/or family. However, trying to find which genera/families have inter-species pollination is difficult and much information is contradictory. Thus, I bring you a list of genera and families; my question is, in each genera/family, can the species within it cross-pollinate?

Families:
Amaranthaceae
Alliaceae
Solanaceae
Leguminosae
Cucurbitaceae
Brassicacea
Umbelliferae

Genera:
Solanum
Brassica
Allium
Cucurbita
Cucumis
Arachis
Lactuca
Mentha
Salvia
Ocimum
Helianthus
Rubus
Vicia
Phaseolus
Vigna
Claytonia
Origanum
Chenopodium

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Different 'genus' will not cross pollinate but different 'species' within that same genus can cross pollinate.

Summer squash is Cucurbita pepo and winter squash is Cucurbita moschata. They can not cross pollinate because they are different 'species'.

Ask a Question