Does fertilising superpetunias make them more resillient against pests like caterpillars?

Reaction score
Country
Norway
I have two potted superpetunias outside on the terrace, which got attacked by green caterpillars. I haven't fertilised them in the last few weeks. If I do it now, is it going to help with the caterpillars (I'm doing other things to get rid of them ofc)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have hot temperatures, it's best to wait until it cools down before fertilizing. The reason is, in hot weather, the plant moves more water than usual for transpiration due to the heat, If there are fertilizers mixed in the water it will push too much fertilizer thur the plant causing the plant to get fertilizer burn. I would wait until it is cooler if it is hot.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think I misunderstood the question from the other thread. Fertilizing plants will not stop caterpillars, if the moth lays the eggs on the plant the caterpillars will hatch and eat it. But I got this about fertilizing the plant for you:

Superbells, also known as Superpetunias, are hybrid plants that are a cross between petunias and calibrachoas. They are known for their vibrant and prolific blooming. When choosing a fertilizer for Superbells, it's generally best to use a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer formulated for flowering plants. Look for a fertilizer with an N-P-K ratio (nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium) around 10-10-10 or similar.
Additionally, a slow-release granular fertilizer can be beneficial for providing a steady supply of nutrients over time. You can find fertilizers labeled specifically for flowering or blooming plants at garden centers. Follow the instructions on the fertilizer packaging for application rates and frequency.
Remember to water the plants well before applying fertilizer and avoid over-fertilizing, as this can lead to excessive foliage growth at the expense of blooms. Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations for proper application to ensure healthy growth and abundant flowering.

When considering whether to use fertilizer for your plants during hot weather, there are a few factors to keep in mind:

1. Watering: During hot weather, plants tend to lose more water through evaporation. Adequate watering is crucial to prevent stress caused by heat. Before applying fertilizer, make sure the plants are well-hydrated. Applying fertilizer to dry soil can potentially cause stress to the plants.
  2. Fertilizer Strength: If you decide to fertilize during hot weather, it's a good idea to use a diluted or half-strength fertilizer solution. Strong fertilizers can lead to rapid growth and increased water demand, which might stress the plant further in hot conditions.
  3. Timing: If you're fertilizing during hot weather, it's generally better to do so in the early morning or late afternoon when temperatures are cooler. Avoid fertilizing during the peak heat of the day to reduce the risk of fertilizer burn.
  4. Slow-Release Fertilizers: Consider using slow-release fertilizers that release nutrients gradually over time. This can provide a steady supply of nutrients to the plants without causing a sudden surge in growth that could be stressful.
  5. Observation: Pay close attention to your plants' condition. If they are showing signs of stress, such as wilting or browning leaves, it's best to hold off on fertilizing until the weather cools down and the plants recover.
Ultimately, the decision to fertilize during hot weather depends on the specific needs and condition of your plants. Proper watering and careful consideration of fertilizer type and strength will help minimize stress and promote healthy growth even in hot conditions.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Superpetunias, like regular petunias, thrive in warm temperatures. Generally, temperatures between 70 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit (21 to 29 degrees Celsius) are considered ideal for their growth. However, they can tolerate higher temperatures, up to around 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius), as long as they receive proper care and hydration. It's important to provide adequate water and shelter from extreme heat to ensure their health and vigor.

So all that said, I would still not give them a full dose of fert until they recover from the caterpillars chewing on them. I hope this all helps you @RomanW :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey there,

Sorry to hear about the caterpillar situation on your superpetunias. Fertilizing plants generally aims to boost their growth and health. While healthier plants can sometimes be more resilient to pests, directly adding fertilizer won't deter or get rid of caterpillars. It's more about ensuring your plants can recover and thrive after the damage.

For caterpillars, manual removal is often the most straightforward and effective method if the infestation isn't massive. Check the plants regularly, especially under leaves, and remove any you find. If the infestation is severe, you might consider an insecticidal soap or a natural deterrent like neem oil. Always ensure you're following label instructions and apply in the early morning or late evening to prevent sunburn on the plants.

Once you've addressed the caterpillar issue, definitely go ahead and fertilize to give your petunias the nutrients they need to recover and bloom beautifully.

Best of luck with your plants!
Ahmad

Ask a Question