Does landscape fabric prevent leaching from pressure treated wood into a raised bed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to build a raised bed and wanted to use landscape timbers as the border, but the timbers are pressure treated. Would landscape fabric work to block the chemicals from the pressure treated wood from leaching into the bed? If not, do you have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't think so because the fabric is breathable.. it lets water in and out. I don't think there is a solution to keep the chemicals from getting in the soil, I wouldn't recommend using it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with pepper. When I built mine I had the same problem, so stapled on some thick plastic sheet around the sides, and made sure to put plenty of stone drainage pebbles across the base - that worked fine!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with pepper. When I built mine I had the same problem, so stapled on some thick plastic sheet around the sides, and made sure to put plenty of stone drainage pebbles across the base - that worked fine!
Does the plastic leach?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, not if you use plastic like compost bags are made out of, or poly tunnel type plastic - stuff that doesn't breath.

Ask a Question