Super Duper Compost

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That sounds like an intriguing mix, Sunn Hemp is an excellent green manure and nitrogen fixer, and when combined with cow manure, it must make for a rich compost. The layering technique you mentioned can aid in an even breakdown and nitrogen distribution. Keeping it covered is a smart move to retain nutrients. I'd be keen to see how plants respond to this super compost over time. Keep us updated on your progress!
Thanks for your comments. I'll be very surprised if the plant response is less than spectacular.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
These are my compost bins with - weeds, coffee grounds, cow manure (imported), straw and manure from the chooks deep litter and minor other elements. I have three compost compartments (approx. 5 feet cubed) and build the first one in layers as I go. I turn it into the adjoining bin when it has sunken to about a third of its original height. It's full of worms and detritus lovers. It heats up well despite being built over time (not at one go as recommended).
The bins are recycled fence gates. I'm wondering if you could use bins instead of buckets to increase output.

Attachments

• IMG_3231 (2).JPG
    IMG_3231 (2).JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3230.JPG
    IMG_3230.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 5

Ask a Question