Potting soil and perlite

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
Am I crazy to detest perlite? It's so ugly and it looks synthetic because it is. Plants have been growing for untold millenia without pelletized styrofoam. Is there really no other way to promote drainage and prevent compaction (which i've never found a problem anyway)? What's wrong with bark chips or coarse sand?

I'm a city apartment-dweller. Does anyone know of a commecially-sold potting soil that DOESN'T contain perlite?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Am I crazy to detest perlite? It's so ugly and it looks synthetic because it is. Plants have been growing for untold millenia without pelletized styrofoam. Is there really no other way to promote drainage and prevent compaction (which i've never found a problem anyway)? What's wrong with bark chips or coarse sand?

I'm a city apartment-dweller. Does anyone know of a commecially-sold potting soil that DOESN'T contain perlite?
I bought a bag of Natures Creation potting mix that didn't have perlite or vermiculite in it. Perlite isn't styrofoam nor is it synthetic. It is mined from volcanic glass. And there is nothing wrong with wood chips or coarse sand unless your soil is clay in which case coarse sand is not good because clay+sand=brick.

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
Perlite isn't styrofoam nor is it synthetic. It is mined from volcanic glass

You're right of course and I shouldn't be facetious.

The Nature's Creation looks great, thanks. On balance I may try this stuff first, call me simple. The price is right :):)!

Ask a Question