Potting Soil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I only grow in pots, so I have a potting mix question. I live in Florida where pots are known to dry out very quickly due to hot weather. For my potting mix, I am considering to use plain soil (no nutrients) as well as compost. I am now wondering if I should add anything else. I researched perlite vs. vermiculite and learned that perlite helps drain soil quickly, which is something I don't want since pots in Florida dry out relatively quickly. But I was wondering if peat moss would be needed. Don't vermiculite and peat moss serve the same function? I would like light airy soil, that is able to retain water. What proportion should I use of plain soil, compost, peat moss, and vermiculite(if I need all of these)? Would different proportions be used for growing herbs, greens, and vegetables. Thank you so much.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whatever soil/compost you use in pots, the plants would benefit from pearlite or vermiculite and/or horticultural grit to open the medium up. The idea is to allow the water to go through every part of the potting medium, and that is what these additives allow.
Without these additions the danger is that as the soil/compost dries, it binds together and forms a solid mass, so that the water you add cannot actually reach the roots of your plants, and it will run to the sides of the pots and drain out through the bottom holes without doing any good at all.
It helps to make sure your pots are not in the direct sun all the time, and best to choose a place for them where it is shady at least part of the day.
Feeding is also really important if you only use pots. Slow release fertiliser like Osmocote (NOT miracle grow !!!!) is excellent.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Tetters' advice is spot on. We are in Texas, and the herbs we have in pots are in morning sun, afternoon shade. I would imagine your conditions with heat and sunshine in Florida are similar to ours.
I don't fertilize, but herbs like "lean" soil. I'd use any organic fertilizer or slow release fertilizer for other plants. I can't help with vegetables and greens in pots. Those we plant directly in the ground.
Avoid peat moss--no nutrients in it, and it just takes up space that would be better utilized by vermiculite or compost.

Ask a Question