New seedlings growing without leaves...

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hello guys,

I've noticed a about 10% of my new seedlings are growing without leaves. In other words, it's just a green stalk. In one case, the leaves fell off shortly after it sprouted leaving just the tiny stalk. In the other cases, they may have come off under the soil (?), but I can't see them on the surface. This has mostly been flowers, but also one tomato plant.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? I'm going to assume those seedlings will not survive and grow (although I've left them for now just in case).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I've noticed a about 10% of my new seedlings are growing without leaves. In other words, it's just a green stalk. In one case, the leaves fell off shortly after it sprouted leaving just the tiny stalk. In the other cases, they may have come off under the soil (?), but I can't see them on the surface. This has mostly been flowers, but also one tomato plant.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? I'm going to assume those seedlings will not survive and grow (although I've left them for now just in case).
I am so surprised to read this. For the first time ever, I've experienced a similar thing. I have some bell pepper seedlings on the kitchen window sill, and some of those are just stalks too. I inspected these more closely, and found that the cotyledons (first 'leaves') were still tightly encased in the seed. Those were dying off very quickly. I have no idea why though ???? At first I thought a little snail or slug had bitten them off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also keeping the soil really warm after they germinate, like on a heat mat, will cause some legginess.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think the OP has said anything about being ''leggy'' just that the leaves or cotyledons were missing. They have even mentioned the word ''tiny'' when referring to the stalk!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think the OP has said anything about being ''leggy'' just that the leaves or cotyledons were missing. They have even mentioned the word ''tiny'' when referring to the stalk!
That is true. A picture would be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Exactly, and like you, I'm kind of suspecting some kind of pest.

The weird thing is, some of them are indoors and some are outdoors. At first I thought it might be a "blåmes" (a type of small bird) that pecked off the leaves. That seems extremely unlikely, but I saw them hopping around the plant pots outside.

But it also happened inside ... so maybe a small mouse or something? (I live in a countryside cottage).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I said in my first post if you read it again, I discovered that it was not a pest. The cotyledons aka ''first leaves'' were tightly encased still in the seed. The seed had not allowed the little leaves to escape, and I was unable to free them. That is why they perished. I have no idea why this should happen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As I said in my first post if you read it again, I discovered that it was not a pest. The cotyledons aka ''first leaves'' were tightly encased still in the seed. The seed had not allowed the little leaves to escape, and I was unable to free them. That is why they perished. I have no idea why this should happen.
That is sort of what I was thinking. I've had it happen too but usually they escape with at least a partial baby leaf.

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
That is not what has happened in my case.

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Photos attached.

IMG_20240506_223817135.jpg

IMG_20240506_224037106~2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is not what has happened in my case.
No, it's not! I think it's time to start looking for a slug or snail. In the daytime they hide. Look under the pot, and around the rim, or inspect the seed tray after dark with a torch and a nice pot of salt to pop the culprit into.

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
No, it's not! I think it's time to start looking for a slug or snail. In the daytime they hide. Look under the pot, and around the rim, or inspect the seed tray after dark with a torch and a nice pot of salt to pop the culprit into.
These are actually inside. I mean ... I guess I might have a slug or snail hiding inside! I hope not!!

Ask a Question