Help identifying dream planting scheme

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Compressed.jpg

Hello,

I hope you are well. I have found this planting scheme that I love but I am at a loss to identify the plants! Any help figuring out what has been planted here would be much appreciated!

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome, Just by walking around a nursery with a pic like that would give you lots of ideas. The actual plants are irrelevant really - it's the overall picture you want to copy. A clue there though ----the tall flowers are hollyhocks and delphiniums, and the fluffy pale yellow ones around the bird bath are probably Thalictrum flava
1714640397989.png
but the way to learn your plants is to find a nursery or garden centre. Alternatively, find other gardeners in your area and talk to them to get ideas. Most gardeners want to talk about their plants, and they love compliments on their work - often more than willing to share ideas as well as cuttings.

Once you have a colour scheme in your head, you're laughing!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next trick, set up your planting area. Where do you want to see this design from? Is it to be a secluded area behind the house, or a display at the front? You want to see your design from the right place, so maybe it's for a seating area, or back or front doorway?
Have you got an ugly shed to hide?
Then, you will need to sort out the bird bath as it is the centre of the picture.
In the picture above there's a SMALL silver leafed tree, probably hiding an ugly shed. There is then a background of silver leafed perennial plants, intermingled with tall white flowers. Stick with perennials, then the basic scheme will be there every year.
That will sort out your framework.
Before buying or growing anything, check what sort of soil you have. Is it acid or alkaline, clay, loam or sandy? Check shady areas and sunny spots. Prepare the soil, and find some nicely matured manure to dig in if you can.
That should keep you busy for a while :giggle:

PS the one on the bottom right hand corner is Stachys byzantina aka lambs ears.

Ask a Question