No luck identifying this yet, maybe you guys can help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Found this in a natural area in front of a house surrounded by vinca and under some pines, nothing similar to it nearby and I know whatever it is it was not planted there. I have moved it to my garden and it has been there for about a week now with no luck identifying it. Anybody know what this is, the variegation alone makes me very confused, maybe even some sort of mutation. Running theory is it could be some kind of Hedera (Ivy) but we really don't know, it also kinda looks like Cercis but doesn't grow like it.
IMG_3019.jpg
IMG_3045.jpg
IMG_3047.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you have knotweed there. If so, you will need to deal with it sooner rather than later. It is devastatingly invasive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1683557920538.png
1683558137326.png The flower will help. First is knotweed, and second Houttuynia.
@cpp gardener aren't the Persicarias all in the same family too? I really hope it is one of the latter, but as you say it's all invasive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, that fits! I used to have to propagate Houttuynia at the nursery. We called them stink plants, and after a few hundred trays of nicely chopped rhizomes, felt quite ill - and lizard tails is a good name for them - bum end!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I try to conduct myself in a ladylike fashion, but I admit, there are times....
when things go slightly awry!!

Ask a Question