What is wrong with my Lucky Bamboo - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To my shock, i looked at my lucky bamboo today and one of the branch with leaves has turned bright yellow.

It was all nice and happy just a week ago. please tell me how i save it, what do I have to do. the plant is kept in water (not soil) and I have had it for more than 6 months always been healthy and growing. My watering habit hasn’t changed, filtered water every week.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is the photo
23913E92-50E7-4C9C-837B-8197B7714C0A.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

For now I would not worry about this discolouration. The newer growth on the branch is coming out green. However do continue to observe the plant's progress. Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana) is not a true bamboo, but it does make a popular, easy care houseplant that can live for many years in water. Besides water, Lucky Bamboo should receive bright indirect light and an occasional splash of complete fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

For now I would not worry about this discolouration. The newer growth on the branch is coming out green. However do continue to observe the plant's progress. Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana) is not a true bamboo, but it does make a popular, easy care houseplant that can live for many years in water. Besides water, Lucky Bamboo should receive bright indirect light and an occasional splash of complete fertilizer.
thanks! Should I move its location? Could be due to sunlight (?! In the UK in November which is unlikely ) What could be the cause of this yellow colour issue.

You said The new growth is that same branch is green but I thought the new growth are the yellow leaves? (As they are from the outside)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm, it looks like there is a green leaf at the tip, but perhaps the camera angle has created that illusion. Could you post a second pic?
Even if that one stem is staying yellow, it may just be a sport or aberration. Overall your plant looks quite healthy. Keep it in a window and never let it dry out and it should be fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, it looks like there is a green leaf at the tip, but perhaps the camera angle has created that illusion. Could you post a second pic?
Even if that one stem is staying yellow, it may just be a sport or aberration. Overall your plant looks quite healthy. Keep it in a window and never let it dry out and it should be fine.
Hi here is another picture you see that whole branch is bright yellow.

Attachments

• BF5D8677-C3F7-49F8-B329-E38DC6021197.jpeg
    BF5D8677-C3F7-49F8-B329-E38DC6021197.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, if the stem is all yellow then it might be a genetic sport, ...which is wonderful. Just leave that stem on and you'll have an interesting yellow branch on your lucky bamboo, how lucky indeed. Seriously, I don't think there is a health issue here. I wouldn't try to take the stem off and root it separately because it may not produce enough chlorophyll to survive on its own.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few days have passed and now the stalk started to turn yellow too (see picture). So something is definitely up. What should I do?

Alright, if the stem is all yellow then it might be a genetic sport, ...which is wonderful. Just leave that stem on and you'll have an interesting yellow branch on your lucky bamboo, how lucky indeed. Seriously, I don't think there is a health issue here. I wouldn't try to take the stem off and root it separately because it may not produce enough chlorophyll to survive on its own.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interest. also, it does seem to be producing a new green leaf at the tip after all. You could try cutting the stem at a lower point such as where that visible bud is on the front. If this stem is actually declining, it may not necessarily affect the other stems in the arrangement. You can take off the twist-ties and re-plant the other stems in a new arrangemnt if this does happen.

I've kept one of those lucky bamboo bundles of Dracaena sanderiana in my kitchen for many years as a curiosity. It has lived a remarkably long time in north light, with a very small amount of saturated media, which is mostly its own root mass now. An occasional splash of fertilizer is its only other care. However i do recall that initially there were five stems and the one in the middle of the bundle did die and was removed. This happened years ago. So, occasionally one of these almost-immortal Dracaena stems does give up the ghost for some reason. Perhaps it lost a battle for root space with the other stems.

Ask a Question