Help! What's Wrong With My Cucumbers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All :)

I'm a brand new organic gardener in zone 6B. I started a small veggie garden to benefit the participants in the psychiatric rehabilitation program I work for. Because this garden happened mid spring on a whim (& b/c we're on rented property) we did not have an opportunity to plan, build proper raised beds, or to dig into the landscaped grass.

Instead we cleared away an area in the mulch, & transplanted two cucumber plants into large pots that we cut the bottoms out of (so that they could root down into the soil if the pots weren't deep enough). Then we built tall wire cages around the plants for trellising. We transplanted them around the first week of June. Up until about the first week of August the two plants seemed to be thriving: big broad green leaves & tons of fruit.

Then the leaves started to develop yellow splotches & brown areas. Unfortunately, I left for vacation, and when I returned they were in this state:

Any advice or ideas?? Thank you so much! First time gardening & first time joining a forum too! :)

Attachments

• cucumber 3.jpg
    cucumber 3.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 44
  • cucumber 4.jpg
    cucumber 4.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 46
  • cucumber 12.jpg
    cucumber 12.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 45
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi All :)

I'm a brand new organic gardener in zone 6B. I started a small veggie garden to benefit the participants in the psychiatric rehabilitation program I work for. Because this garden happened mid spring on a whim (& b/c we're on rented property) we did not have an opportunity to plan, build proper raised beds, or to dig into the landscaped grass.

Instead we cleared away an area in the mulch, & transplanted two cucumber plants into large pots that we cut the bottoms out of (so that they could root down into the soil if the pots weren't deep enough). Then we built tall wire cages around the plants for trellising. We transplanted them around the first week of June. Up until about the first week of August the two plants seemed to be thriving: big broad green leaves & tons of fruit.

Then the leaves started to develop yellow splotches & brown areas. Unfortunately, I left for vacation, and when I returned they were in this state:

Any advice or ideas?? Thank you so much! First time gardening & first time joining a forum too! :)
Cucs have a productive life span of about 45 to 60 days. The older they get the more susceptible they become to fungal and bacterial diseases. But, even with these diseases productivity can be extended somewhat with the use of fungicides such as neem oil. But, as time goes on, productivity will decrease, diseases will take hold no matter what you do. Usually one would plant more seeds about the time the plant was producing its first fruits to ensure a steady supply until the first frost.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cucs have a productive life span of about 45 to 60 days. The older they get the more susceptible they become to fungal and bacterial diseases. But, even with these diseases productivity can be extended somewhat with the use of fungicides such as neem oil. But, as time goes on, productivity will decrease, diseases will take hold no matter what you do. Usually one would plant more seeds about the time the plant was producing its first fruits to ensure a steady supply until the first frost.
Ah, thank you! I will keep that in mind for next year about staggering the plantings. I have a follow up question if you (&/or anyone) is able to answer. We’re composting onsite, but I’ve read not to put diseased plants into your compost. Is there a sustainable way to dispose of something like this? What do others do?
Thanks very much again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah, thank you! I will keep that in mind for next year about staggering the plantings. I have a follow up question if you (&/or anyone) is able to answer. We’re composting onsite, but I’ve read not to put diseased plants into your compost. Is there a sustainable way to dispose of something like this? What do others do?
Thanks very much again!
Not that I know of

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks very much again!
Burn it and put the ashes in the compost or soil. They are alkaline, and have a mineral content.

Ask a Question