Need help identifying what's wrong

Reaction score
Country
India
I have a terrace garden in India and I grow all kinds of vegetables in it. Last year I had grown lima beans and eggplants and they produced a lot of yield. This year the plants haven't started off well. The leaves are always a pale yellow more like a mosaic and the stems haven't fattened up like they used to. I'm not sure how to detect and fix the problem, and I'm looking for help.

The leaves of the eggplant have also been yellowing and shedding rather quickly.

plant 3.jpg

plant 2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a terrace garden in India and I grow all kinds of vegetables in it. Last year I had grown lima beans and eggplants and they produced a lot of yield. This year the plants haven't started off well. The leaves are always a pale yellow more like a mosaic and the stems haven't fattened up like they used to. I'm not sure how to detect and fix the problem, and I'm looking for help.

The leaves of the eggplant have also been yellowing and shedding rather quickly.

View attachment 73951

View attachment 73950
From the pictures it certainly looks like Common Bean Mosaic Virus, but it also could be a lack of micro-nutrients. I don't know what is available in India to treat this problem but in the US it is called Chelated Iron, a mixture of the needed nutrients. If it is mosaic virus there is nothing you can do at this point. Mosaic virus degrades quickly in wet soils. It can be virulent for up to two years. The best method of combating this disease is to use fresh mosaic resistant seeds

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi Chuck,
Thank you for your reply. I do have chelated micronutrients. let me try it out and see if it helps.

Ask a Question