What is wrong with my squash? Is this iron deficiency or what?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody!

I grew some squash from seed and then transplanted into my garden about 1.5 months ago or so. I added some nitrogen (liquid fish fertilizer) shortly after transplanting, and then followed up with some 4-6-6 about a month later (two weeks ago). My watering is automated and done twice a day with my micro-spray system, but I don't think my issue is water-related.

To me this looks like some kind of nutrient issue, possibly related to pH in the soil? My top guess would be iron deficiency or maybe low nitrogen or something like that, but I figured I would post here for advice before moving forward. Luckily the rest of my garden is doing great! Just need some help for these guys.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210728_193417.jpg
    20210728_193417.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210728_193440.jpg
    20210728_193440.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everybody!

I grew some squash from seed and then transplanted into my garden about 1.5 months ago or so. I added some nitrogen (liquid fish fertilizer) shortly after transplanting, and then followed up with some 4-6-6 about a month later (two weeks ago). My watering is automated and done twice a day with my micro-spray system, but I don't think my issue is water-related.

To me this looks like some kind of nutrient issue, possibly related to pH in the soil? My top guess would be iron deficiency or maybe low nitrogen or something like that, but I figured I would post here for advice before moving forward. Luckily the rest of my garden is doing great! Just need some help for these guys.

Thank you!
The problem with your plant appears to have started with the older leaves first. Iron deficiency affects newer leaves first. I believe that what you have going on is a deficiency in manganese or zinc or both and possibly nitrogen as well. I would treat with azomite or greensand for a long term curative. For immediate results use Chelated Iron as per directions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The problem with your plant appears to have started with the older leaves first. Iron deficiency affects newer leaves first. I believe that what you have going on is a deficiency in manganese or zinc or both and possibly nitrogen as well. I would treat with azomite or greensand for a long term curative. For immediate results use Chelated Iron as per directions.

Thanks for the advice, I picked up a combo chelated iron with manganese and zinc, and the squash look better already!

Thank you again for your help.

-W

Ask a Question