Help!!! Whats wrong with my Alocasia!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to this forum and forums in general! Excited to become a part! Does anyone know what’s wrong with my new Alocasia (brought home about 3 weeks ago) (specific Alocasia species unknown) in the photos I just watered lightly and moved by the humitifier. I transplanted in a custom blended soil about a week ago (coco coir, activated charcoal, perlite, and orchid bark) the soil it came in looked poor draining!! I’m in Southern California so the humidity is relatively high already, it’s in a bright bedroom but not against a window , should I put under the grow lights? Help!! I don’t want to loose her I sprayed with a copper fungicide when I brought her home , it didn’t worsen until recently!!!

Attachments

• 9D988D1B-7B3E-4AB1-85E0-1C533C2A5635.jpeg
    9D988D1B-7B3E-4AB1-85E0-1C533C2A5635.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 651FB330-9A1C-48A7-9412-FFC2ED8BD735.jpeg
    651FB330-9A1C-48A7-9412-FFC2ED8BD735.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 3DDC13F6-E313-4A10-A653-181CC24611DB.jpeg
    3DDC13F6-E313-4A10-A653-181CC24611DB.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 30
  • E76E7448-5DDD-4C8D-A70C-24B3AE0D0C1B.jpeg
    E76E7448-5DDD-4C8D-A70C-24B3AE0D0C1B.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 28C2C522-0F74-490A-8790-82513B79BE91.jpeg
    28C2C522-0F74-490A-8790-82513B79BE91.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 39CB661C-D640-47F7-9DDE-B0B764BB3BDB.jpeg
    39CB661C-D640-47F7-9DDE-B0B764BB3BDB.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Country
United States
This appears to be an Alocasia hybrid involving A. sanderiana. The one most commonly available, is the Polly Alocasia (A. x amazonica).

Do not spray with any more copper. That will not correct this problem. Check for root rot. Re-pot if necessary. Going forward let the plant partly dry before watering again. Make certain the soil and pot drain well. Also place this plant in bright, indirect light or part day sun. Alocasia can take some shade, but indoors they should be kept very near a window. If your plant starts to improve, begin monthly applications of a complete fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not a house plant person, but just wanted to say welcome to the forum. Most people seem to turn up with a specific problem, glad to see Marck could offer some help, but there is a lot of general good reading here, so hoping you stay and we see you around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This appears to be an Alocasia hybrid involving A. sanderiana. The one most commonly available, is the Polly Alocasia (A. x amazonica).

Do not spray with any more copper. That will not correct this problem. Check for root rot. Re-pot if necessary. Going forward let the plant partly dry before watering again. Make certain the soil and pot drain well. Also place this plant in bright, indirect light or part day sun. Alocasia can take some shade, but indoors they should be kept very near a window. If your plant starts to improve, begin monthly applications of a complete fertilizer.
Thank you! I will try moving it outside for some of the day ( in shade) because that may be the problem, I just reported like 4 days ago with coco coir, orchid bark, activated charcoal, perlite, and some dam all drainage rocks… hope it will start to help once I get better sun! I’ll keep you posted! Thank you for your advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not a house plant person, but just wanted to say welcome to the forum. Most people seem to turn up with a specific problem, glad to see Marck could offer some help, but there is a lot of general good reading here, so hoping you stay and we see you around.
Thank you for your welcome! Yes I went through some of the forums and tons to learn from! It’s great! I will definitely remain a part of !

Reaction score
Country
United States

What about grow lights???

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, you could set up artificial lighting. This requires either typically powered lighting placed quite close to the plant or much more highly powered lighting farther away. In my opinion, to do it correctly takes away much of the ornamental appeal of house plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, you could set up artificial lighting. This requires either typically powered lighting placed quite close to the plant or much more highly powered lighting farther away. In my opinion, to do it correctly takes away much of the ornamental appeal of house plants.
Your a miracle man! I am just starting (2 years maybe) in the plant hobby. I got a grow light a few days ago (I know very little about ,I have to admit) because I wanted to grow some Stephania erecta seeds ( hopefully I’m on the right track) (also getting WAY off topic lol I’m not sure if that’s frowned upon ). Literally maybe 20 minutes under the light and look at the improvement in the healthy-ish leaves!! Maybe I’ll put there for a few hours out of the day then back to its home until I can find a bright enough spot for her! The leaves are flattening. I know we’re not out of the woods yet, but it’s improvement is noticeable! I want to hug you !

Attachments

• 534C7172-0FF0-4E53-A4AB-6D95CDB2787F.jpeg
    534C7172-0FF0-4E53-A4AB-6D95CDB2787F.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Country
United States
How can I get the fungicide blue off the leaves !! I know it’s hard to tell in that picture I should send a side view. Before the leaves were ALL extremely curled upwards…. Now they are beginning to look like Alocasia leaves and flattening

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm glad to hear your plant is beginning to recover. Moving the plants sounds like it may be workable plan. Some time under the light could give you and the plant the best of both worlds, as long as it isn't too laborious for you. As for the blue fungicide deposits, maybe try gently rubbing the spots with a warm, damp cloth and then rinsing off the loosened residue. I would wear disposable gloves for that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm glad to hear your plant is beginning to recover. Moving the plants sounds like it may be workable plan. Some time under the light could give you and the plant the best of both worlds, as long as it isn't too laborious for you. As for the blue fungicide deposits, maybe try gently rubbing the spots with a warm, damp cloth and then rinsing off the loosened residue. I would wear disposable gloves for that.
My baby just might make it!! I cut the dead/ dying leaves off and there’s some new growth popping through!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's wonderful news. It's similar to hearing about a human patient recovering from an illness.

Ask a Question