How To Propagate My Lucky Bamboo?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have some lucky bamboo growing in water in the house.
Had them for years.

I now have four plants.

One of them is shooting from down near the bottom. So that one is potentially two.
But how best to separate the two bits and have them grow?

One plant is about a metre long without any side shoots at all.
I would like to cut that long length into many bits and have each bit grow.
Can that be done?

Another plant is maybe 300mm long and has a side shoot near the top. Perhaps I could make two out of this?

And the last is shooting down under the water line. And was browning off at the top. I got all concerned and moved it outside to the shaded front verandah and I might have done it some damage. It has lost all colour in the shoot. I would like to separate the shoot from the main now and am thinking of planting in potting mix. The main stem now has no green leaves at all.

Can anyone give me advice on how to turn my somewhat chaotic and sick little bunch of four lucky bamboo plants into a forest of thriving plants?

I would love that. I am fascinated by the fact that they grow in nothing but water. Creating almost wood simply from thin air and water. I think they're marvellous. But after all these years it is perhaps time I started looking after them. They deserve it. It must be ten years we've had them. I've done nothing. I cut and propagated once but I don't remember how. I just know I did.

Now I'd like to do the right thing. I'm getting serious. :)

Ask a Question