Apple tree - need help identifying bug / spots on leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there

I have 2 questions:
1. I am seeing a large number of small bugs with black/yellow spots (see attached pictures). I don't know whether these are some variety of lady beetles and good for the tree, or things I should be getting rid of. Any help identifying the bug would be most helpful.

2. Also attaching some spots on my apple tree and wondering if somebody has an opinion on what could be going on, and corrective actions

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My crab apple has markings on the leaves like that. I think it might be apple scab.

We never looked after this tree or paid attention to it. Last year all the leaves started falling off in June. We weren't sure if it was scab or jus tthe dry weather. So this year I've been watering it and feeding it. It looked amazing, but same pattern is starting as last year. Ironically, from what I've read - if it is scab watering the tree could well have caused the problem as warm, damp weather activates the bacterial spores!!

If my understanding is correct there is nothing you can do this year. It's a bacterial disease and once infected the harm is done.
Clearing away all the leaves from under the tree at the end of the season (to remove the spores), addition of sulpher to lower ph can also help. And plenty of good compost under the tree to smother any remaining bacteria. We didn't do a thorough enough job of clearing last year and didn't put down sulpher.

I think you can get sprays, but you need to spray PRIOR to the problem starting.

I may be wrong though (about my own and yours) - wait to see what others say.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I believe the bug is a beneficial lady bug named 20 Spot Lady Bug and the black on the leaves is sooty mold. Sooty mold is caused either by insect excrement or it is wind blown from other infected plants. It likes dampness. To control sooty mold mix 1 tablespoon of dish washing detergent into a gallon of water and wash the infected leaves. Wait about 20 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.

Ask a Question