Pineapple tree start ? - help needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
Hello party people. So I’ve been DYING to start on a pineapple tree. After sleeping at a friends house guess what I find in the trash as I wake up!! This baby right here !! Now could tell me if I can start the tree with that head or the way it was ripped ruined my chances.

Thank you ❤️
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't know what your chance of success is, but I do know pineapple plants take a long time to fruit and you will get exactly one fruit per plant. So plan to be in it for the long haul and have multiple going at one time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It should work, if you follow the below instructions in the video. I've planted about five and every time it looks like it died and I forgot about them and allowed other plants to grow over them, only to find a relatively healthy pineapple plant in the fall when all the other plants died away. I've never put it in water (like in the video), because I'm just too lazy, but probably better than just sticking in the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
Hey I was just worried about the way it was chopped off but it doesn’t seem to be an issue. It’s in my handbag right now (yay dumpster diving) and I’ll see how it goes once I’m home

Thanks to all of you ❤️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I cannot say this is the scientific way to do it but in Hawaii the local neighbor taught me - find a pineapple you love the taste of, lay the chopped off head (that looks exactly like your photo) out in the sun for 3-days, then plant it! 2-years later you have a pineapple! Of course, that was on Maui in probably the most fertile volcanic soil on Earth... But, it worked!

Strange plant (not a tree) but there are varieties in Maui that never make it to the supermarket that are really good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello party people. So I’ve been DYING to start on a pineapple tree. After sleeping at a friends house guess what I find in the trash as I wake up!! This baby right here !! Now could tell me if I can start the tree with that head or the way it was ripped ruined my chances.

Thank you ❤View attachment 51956

That is no problem at all. I've grown Pineapple trees from store bought fruit.

In fact, you would generally take the leaves from the base off anyway. This cutting probably has too many leaves anyways. Take off the bottom . . . say . . .1/4th -- or at least until it's level to the wound and it will do great :)

Ask a Question