Request For Help In Identifying Mystery Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Happy Today!
In my neighbor's yard is a tree that showed up about 10 years ago. Over the years, and again today, I've tried to identify it on line and with the plant identifier apps. I'm wondering if any of you recognize this tree.

It is about 25 feet tall. There is no single trunk, rather is has many mini-trunks coming from the ground, each of which is between 1and 4 inched in diameter. I can't get close enough to get a photo of the trunk, but the last photo shows the bark. The leaves are about 3" long and 1-1/2 to 2" wide. The tree is the one on the left in the first photo.

In early summer, it produces lots of sticky, green dust. The dust coats the pavement, roof and- if I bump into a branch, my clothing. It adheres tenaciously. A photo of the dust is attached.

Tiny orange clusters of perhaps flowers show up, but there are only a few. My only other clues are that the carpenter ants enjoy it and no birds nor squirrels make nests in it. (They prefer the maple trees.) Also, my dog and I sneeze like crazy when we get near the branches that overhang our yard.

Do you all know what tree (or weed) this plant is? Also, is the dust the seeds or is it pollen? And, what are the orange bits?

Thank You for helping me solve this mystery. It's is very much appreciated.
Paul
Paul
A) Main View.JPG
B) Branch.JPG
C) Leaves Close.JPG
D) Dust.JPG
E) Bark.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is Buckthorn. The fruits are incredibly poisonous to humans (not to birds or cats though) and will not kill you but give you a degenerative brain disease where the poisons will eat away at your brain tissue {toxic pathology 1997 [449 - 452] }. Be very careful with this plant. [probably get rid of it]

Reaction score
Country
United States
The cost to remove the tree in the top photo is $1200 where I live.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which plant do you mean by buckthorn? In the UK, all casually referred to as "buckthorn", we have "Purging Buckthorn" Rhamnus cathartica, "Alder Buckthorn" Frangula alnus and "Sea Buckthorn" Hippophae rhamnoides. All of which look different have different habitats one of which was used in herbal medicine and one of which is used to make a juice high in vitamin C.
This is the problem with common names rather than the binomial name.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Which plant do you mean by buckthorn? In the UK, all casually referred to as "buckthorn", we have "Purging Buckthorn" Rhamnus cathartica, "Alder Buckthorn" Frangula alnus and "Sea Buckthorn" Hippophae rhamnoides. All of which look different have different habitats one of which was used in herbal medicine and one of which is used to make a juice high in vitamin C.
This is the problem with common names rather than the binomial name.
I am not sure what kind of buckthorn it is but I had a similar issue about a week ago. To make a long story short I had a bunch of alder buckthorn trees and they got that orange rust crown fungi. Then I discovered it spread to one of my chestnut trees. Once that fungi sets in it can't be cured. So I cut down every single one and dumped it all at the landfill, not even a leaf from them left on the ground to spread that disease. Thankfully they were only small little trees. From what I read all those buckthorn trees are notorious for spreading that fungi disease to other trees, plants and flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Megalondon5 for identifying the tree & its hazards. It was interesting to read about the different buckthorns.
Upon studying the buckthorn tree, it shows the berries have anthraquinones. Anthraquinone compounds are very toxic to dogs.

I'll be certain that my dog buddy does not get near the fruits. Thankfully, we have a gate next to the garage so he can't get in the area until I clean up the fruits that fall. Unfortunately, the neighbors have a little yap yap dog. I'll let them know about the hazards of the tree. (But nothing will be done, as they did not get rid if the pokeberry that the veterinarian said is a powerful poison to dogs.)

Thank You Pepper for identifying the orange. I hope the crown root fungus doesn't spread to my maple that is nearby. I will keep the branches that grow over to my side of the fence cut away to fence line so at least they can't touch each other.

Thanks Again All!
Paul

Ask a Question