What is a foolproof way of getting rid of soil mites that doesnt involve repotting every affected plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve been battling with soil mites for a while now and would like to know if anyone has had success with eradicating them! I’d like to start by stating I know they’re considered beneficial bugs; however, I’m not interested in having mites that can carry parasites in my home. Also I just can’t stand the sight of them crawling on the soil, stem, and outside of the pot anymore.

I have tried the following sprays, but to no avail:
Neem oil/peppermint castile soap/water
70% Isopropyl alcohol/peppermint castile soap/water
The same mix above with tea tree soap added on
1:1 3% hydrogen peroxide/water (I’ve also tried soaking the soil with this)
Captain Jack’s dead bug brew
Bonide liquid insecticidal soap

These bugs really have me stumped and I would love to know if anyone has solutions that really work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sprays of any kind don't work very well against soil dwelling insects but soil drenches do. Spinosad will kill just about all insects, good and bad including mites which are not insects. Just mix 2 oz per gallon of water and when your plants need watering use this mixture.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried drenching the soil of a transplant with straight 70% Isopropyl alcohol as an experiment. It killed the plant. I'd be very careful using a diluted concentration of it.

I've used 1/4 tsp of Dawn Ultra per pint of water and drenched a tomato transplant before. It didn't harm the tomato plant but I wasn't testing it against soilborne bugs either. Soap bubbles came up the next day when I watered it. I imagine this might work if you want to try it but don't blame me if the plant dies.

Ask a Question