Advice on getting into a horticulture career.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm currently working as a landscape gardener but there is too much of a focus on hard landscaping for my liking. I'm not learning anything new on the gardening/horticulture side now, so I'm wondering where the best place is for me to start getting some experience in the horticulture sector.

There's a garden center looking for a plant area assistant at the moment, is it worth going for that? Or is there something better I could look for. I am doing a RHS level 2 in horticulture right now as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

I think working for a while in a nursery could be fine way to learn more about garden plants. Both full-service retail garden centers and wholesale growers and distributors, can offer you a wide range of educational experiences. Knowing about the variety and the needs and possibilities of plants in a landscape will put you among an elite minority of garden designers. Too many of which select their plants from a short, dull list and then treat them like little more than static, unchanging objects in their designs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

I think working for a while in a nursery could be fine way to learn more about garden plants. Both full-service retail garden centers and wholesale growers and distributors, can offer you a wide range of educational experiences. Knowing about the variety and the needs and possibilities of plants in a landscape will put you among an elite minority of garden designers. Too many of which select their plants from a short, dull list and then treat them like little more than static, unchanging objects in their designs.
You are too modest!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, it wouldn't be forever. Just to get some more experience. It's a shame that we don't do much garden planning involving plants at my place currently. I literally spend my summer cutting grass and trimming hedges and the winter doing patios and driveways.

Unless I want to learn hard landscaping, which I don't, there's nowhere to go with the job now. I think I'll apply for it. With not driving, I don't have much choice where I live. I'd prefer like a nursery rather than a garden centre, to be honest.

Ask a Question