Getting rid of brambles around Cotoneaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some cotoneater however I find each year brambles grow in and around them. Is there any way to kill the brambles at the root after I’ve cut them back without killing the cotoneaster. There seems to be a number of recomended bramble weed killers but I’m unsure if they would just sort the brambles and not affect the cotoneaste?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
There is a product called SBK which is described as a brush killer. This is used for the unwanted tougher plants like brambles, but it will damage or kill most things it touches. I suggest you paint this on a number of the leaves of the bramble to avoid damaging the Cotoneaster by spraying. It will spread throughout the brambles system killing the roots too but you may not see any effect for two to three weeks as it works slowly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Using a sponge and backer board, wick the leaves with Glyphosate concentrate mixed 50 milliliter Glyphosate to 1 liter of water. Don't expect results over night because sometimes good things take a little longer but you should see a change in appearance within 10-14 days.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I don't know is it the right place to ask questions. I want to buy a weed killer but don't know which one would be better for my lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I find if you get below the junction of root and stem so you are cutting the white root they will die, ground level and you are just pruning them, but you only need another inch or two down.
Hello, I don't know is it the right place to ask questions. I want to buy a weed killer but don't know which one would be better for my lawn.
hello, and welcome to the forum. You are in the section on trees and hedges here. If you select 'forums' at the top of the page and then scroll down you will see there is one dedicated to lawns. Before you put the question again have a scroll through the threads, I would be surprised if there is not one dedicated to weedkillers. Be careful, there are some grass weedkillers which do not break down, use them and you will not be able to compost your lawn mowings.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
It's very difficult to get rid of brambles, you could try excluding the light by covering it up somehow, perhaps some plastic sheeting and cover that with stones. Or try and dig the roots out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

What types of weeds are you concerned about? Perhaps posting pics of your lawn and the weeds in question will clarify matters.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sheal, there is now a second weed discussion on this thread that was begun by WilliamPBriggs. That is the weed problem I was inquiring about.

Ask a Question