Getting rid of poison ivy


Joined
Jul 9, 2016
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Country
United States
Does anyone know how to get rid of poison ivy? For the most part, I just stay away from it, but we have a couple persistent vines in an unused flower bed between the house and wall. They kind of drape over the wall and hang into the car port area when they get longer, which is what concerns me. I know they are there and avoid them, but the kids, and visitors, don't always think about that.

I've heard that you have to burn them. I'm concerned that that could be a monumental and/or dangerous task. Is there any other way of getting rid of it?
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Feb 2, 2014
Messages
9,389
Reaction score
4,371
Location
Tarpley Tx
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does anyone know how to get rid of poison ivy? For the most part, I just stay away from it, but we have a couple persistent vines in an unused flower bed between the house and wall. They kind of drape over the wall and hang into the car port area when they get longer, which is what concerns me. I know they are there and avoid them, but the kids, and visitors, don't always think about that.

I've heard that you have to burn them. I'm concerned that that could be a monumental and/or dangerous task. Is there any other way of getting rid of it?
There is a product called GreenLight Cut Vine and Stump Killer. You find where the vine comes out of the ground and you cut it into. Then you apply a few DROPS of the stuff on the stump. That will kill the plant. As for burning, Don't. If the smoke gets into your lungs it is not a good thing. Either leave the dead vine in place or wear protective clothing and yank it out and dispose of it.
 
Joined
Sep 10, 2014
Messages
2,785
Reaction score
3,914
Location
central Texas
Showcase(s):
1
Country
United States
Do not burn! The resins that cause the reaction to poison ivy can be spread in the smoke and cause a rash to people downwind.
The best eradication is to cut the plant at the base, dowse the stump/stem with an herbicide, and after the part that drapes over the wall is dead and dry, put on long sleeves and gloves, and pull it off the wall and away from the carport. Dispose of the dry vegetation in the trash. Again, do not burn! The long sleeved shirt and gloves should be put through the wash twice--just to be careful.
I was never allergic to poison ivy until we removed a two-story vine from the side of our first house. After being swollen and itchy for quite a time, I learned to avoid direct contact with poison ivy.
I just read Chuck's advice, and basically we are saying the same thing. Just be careful!
 
Joined
Jul 9, 2016
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Country
United States
Thank you for the information, Chuck and Marlingardener! It's good to get a confirmation on not burning from two people. I had no idea that the poison could spread that way, so it's a god thing I asked.

I will see if I can get some of that GreenLight stuff or similar at Lowes or Walmart when I am in town. This poison ivy has got to go.I'm sick of looking at it, and sick of just waiting for one of the kids or a neighbor to break out.
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2014
Messages
9,389
Reaction score
4,371
Location
Tarpley Tx
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the information, Chuck and Marlingardener! It's good to get a confirmation on not burning from two people. I had no idea that the poison could spread that way, so it's a god thing I asked.

I will see if I can get some of that GreenLight stuff or similar at Lowes or Walmart when I am in town. This poison ivy has got to go.I'm sick of looking at it, and sick of just waiting for one of the kids or a neighbor to break out.
Just make sure the active ingredient is Triclopyr
 
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
931
Location
NW Florida
Hardiness Zone
8
Country
United States
Please do not burn! There are people who are hyper sensitive (like myself) who could have extreme reactions to that.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Jan 5, 2017
Messages
1,245
Reaction score
1,127
Location
Atlantic Beach, Fl
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I had some poison ivy growing in the NE corner of my yard, so I planted Mexican petunias (highly invasive) to shade them out; at first they attempted to climb up in search of sun, but I just kept trimming it back. I no longer have the stuff in my yard.
 

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Joined
May 17, 2016
Messages
2,241
Reaction score
3,228
Location
Southwestern Ohio
Hardiness Zone
6
Country
United States
There are people who are hyper sensitive (like myself) who could have extreme reactions to that.
My father was highly allergic to poison ivy, and there is a certain time of year (I'm guessing spring,) that the plant releases oils into the air, and he would get it just from walking 20 feet downwind of it!! :eek:

The allergy progressed as he got older, and I'll give you this warning, STAY AWAY from cashews!! Cashews and poison ivy are in the same family...:oops: I can't repeat what he said in a nice, family friendly forum.:censored: I'll just say that the reaction did NOT occur in his mouth.:eek::eek:

That poor, poor man. :cry: And he loved cashews. :(
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
931
Location
NW Florida
Hardiness Zone
8
Country
United States
My father was highly allergic to poison ivy, and there is a certain time of year (I'm guessing spring,) that the plant releases oils into the air, and he would get it just from walking 20 feet downwind of it!! :eek:

The allergy progressed as he got older, and I'll give you this warning, STAY AWAY from cashews!! Cashews and poison ivy are in the same family...:oops: I can't repeat what he said in a nice, family friendly forum.:censored: I'll just say that the reaction did NOT occur in his mouth.:eek::eek:

That poor, poor man. :cry: And he loved cashews. :(

Interesting to know! I have never had an issue with cashews, but I have made doctors visits due to poison ivy a handful of times, twice to urgent care. My face swelled up something awful with rash around my eyelids and even a short ways up my nostrils. Family and friends say I was unrecognizable and I looked like a chubby Asian (I'm a skinny Caucasian!). It can be extremely frustrating when dealing with folks who aren't allergic or just get a tiny spot from direct contact. Often they think you are bluffing...until they actually see an extreme reaction like I had. Most didn't realize that could actually happen.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top