How to stop snails and spiders getting into plastic storage boxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have large plastic container boxes in the garden. These are great for storing things.

Problem: snails! And to a lesser extent spiders.
They leave what I assume is snail excrement.

How do I keep them out of the plastic storage containers? How do they get in? The boxes aren't air tight, but designed to stop water getting in. The size of the snails has got me confused, there's no way they can get in - do they get in when really small? But then... how do they feed to them get bigger?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps you should re-define them as useful storage boxes/snail traps :)
Seriously, it is good to have the snails where you can find them and get rid of them rather than eating your garden. Spiders I never mind, I would rather have them than what they eat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spiders I don't mind too much but you're right, so many snails in the plastic gardening stage containers!!
Some copper tape around the outside about 2" down from the lid and also a strip around the lid. Copper does not kill the snails but gives them a bit of an electric shock, thus deterring them. Remember though, their excrement is excellent plant food so you might want to harvest it instead for all those lovely Spring flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Are the eggs of the snails/spiders already in the boxes, possibly introduced by the items in there? Fiddly - but cling film might work if you create a seal with it.

Ask a Question