Camomile sprouted but then stopped growing completely

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all, I have a small bunch of camomile that was planted about 2 months ago. They sprouted super quickly (probably within a week or so) but have completely stopped growing. They were inside an indoor greenhouse under some grow lights. I recently moved them to a more indirect light source outside the greenhouse. Any advice would be great! Thank you

Attachments

• 16473099488028064113211145166418.jpg
    16473099488028064113211145166418.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

So are your chamomile seedlings now in indirect light indoors or outdoors? It seems early to put out indoor-grown seedlings in Toronto, so I would guess they are still indoors somewhere. Chamomile grows best in full sun, so keep giving the seedlings bright light. Excessive, shade, cold temperatures or both could slow down the seedling's growth.

Are you growing the annual German Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla)? It appears so , but at that stage they do look similar.
The other common Chamomile is Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile), which is a perennial and only marginally hardy in Toronto (USDA Zone 5)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

So are your chamomile seedlings now in indirect light indoors or outdoors? It seems early to put out indoor-grown seedlings in Toronto, so I would guess they are still indoors somewhere. Chamomile grows best in full sun, so keep giving the seedlings bright light. Excessive, shade, cold temperatures or both could slow down the seedling's growth.

Are you growing the annual German Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla)? It appears so , but at that stage they do look similar.
The other common Chamomile is Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile), which is a perennial and only marginally hardy in Toronto (USDA Zone 5)
Hi Marck! Thank you it is German camomile. I just recently took them out of my indoor greenhouse. They're now indoors receiving indirect sunlight. But they've been under bright grow lights for about 2 months and they've stayed like the photo. Should I put them back under grow lights or try a sunny windowsill? Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a good idea. Try them on a sunny windowsill, and give them an application of a complete, liquid fertilizer.
As long as they remain healthy, the should begin to hasten growth sometime during Spring.

Ask a Question