My plant seems to stop growing and its leaves turn yellow

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
This plant (I don't know the name) was bought 10 years ago, it was originally grown in a ceramic vase filled with water plus some pebbles? only without soil (the way it was grown when I bought it in a shop, is it called hydroponics?). In the past 10 years, I cannot say it was healthy and vibrant all the time (sometimes also yellowish and dull-looking), but it was at least surviving/ living.

Recently, I thought the vase was too small and I bought a pot of a bigger size for it. And this time I put the soil in. I carefully transported the plant without hurting its roots. I think the current light, watering, fertilizers (in form of liquid, applied every two weeks) are all normal for it (in the past I even didn't give it fertilizer). Yes, since it is located in the dining room, it may receive long hours of light (in addition of the daytime sunlight), but in the past it was also like this and it still thrived.

However, with extra care (transporting to a soil pot), more timely watering, and unprecedented liquid fertilizers, the plant seemed not to grow further (yes, it grew some sprouts recently but leaves do not seem to be going to open), its leaves turn yellow or close, the stalks are still green though. I think it is in a stagnant stage--not growing further and seems very slowly deteriorating. The plant got some unprecedented small flies (grown from the soil I guess) around it but I don't think they really do harms? Earlier it got some mold but I removed it with botanical anti-mold spray already.

What do you guys think about the reasons for its stagnancy and slow decay? Is it because of the change from hydroponics to soil-based growing (but a gardener once told me it doesn't matter for a hydroponic plant to be changed to be a soil-based one).

Attachments

• my plant 1.jpg
    my plant 1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 97
  • my plant 2.jpg
    my plant 2.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 78
  • my plant 3.jpg
    my plant 3.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 89
Reaction score
Country
India
Hi Kachibi,

This looks like an Areca palm to me. As far as I know, these plants prefer bright light but not direct sunlight. The soil should be just moist - neither dry nor too wet. And my Areca palm's leaves had started turning a reddish-brown when I mistakenly over-fertilized it (like it looks in the photos you posted). So maybe you can hold back on the fertilizer for some time.
Since you mentioned you have been watering it more timely (I assume that means on a schedule) and the pot seems to be big for the plant, the leaves might be turning yellow from overwatering. I would suggest poking your finger in and checking the soil's moisture level before watering next time. Often the soil in bigger pots retain more water.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Thanks, Neophyte.

1-2 weeks ago I had removed all the soil and turned the plant to a hydroponic one again--with stones and water (mixed with fertilizer). By doing so actually I could check if it had root rot issues. And yes, it got some black and mushy roots and I trimmed them all. Only the brownish ones (the best of the worst already) were left. However, after 1-2 weeks of turning it back to hydroponic, I still do not think the plant is growing, it seems to stop there--the buds do not grow further or unfold the leaves inside.

But the stems are still green, the whole plant is still greenish, except some of the existing leaves are yellowish. I think it is still living? Can I say so? Can someone tell me if a plant can be dead with green stems?

I checked the root this morning again, and I realized I forgot to attend to the main root (circled in red, as shown in the picture). The main root is also blackish-- I overlooked it last time when i trimmed unhealthy roots. I wonder if I should also cut that black part off from the plant? Note that it belongs to the main root, not the side roots. Is it risky to do so?

Attachments

• my plant 6.jpg
    my plant 6.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 71
  • my plant 5.jpg
    my plant 5.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 70
  • my plant 4.jpg
    my plant 4.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 76

Ask a Question