Monstera stopped growing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a beautiful Monstera, but it stopped growing. The most recent leaf has never fully expanded, and has been in the same state shown in the picture now for ca. 4 months. I've also stopped watering now, since it doesn't seem to be absorbing any water from the soil anymore. The plant has been doing fine for the past 4 years. About 1 year ago I moved it from a fairly small to the current bigger pot shown in the picture. I'm very worried that the plant might be dying. Any suggestions what I could try to save it highly appreciated.

IMG_3876.jpgIMG_3877.jpgIMG_3878.jpgIMG_3875.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Some of this is likely seasonal, even the growth of indoor Monstera deliciosa will often slow in Winter.
For now, just observe and maintain, but do make certain soil and pot drain well.
It's hard to judge from photos but the light level seems reasonable. If there is a brighter spot available, consider moving it there.
As Spring begins in March or so, feed with a complete, general-purpose liquid fertilizer. Hopefully growth will pick up with longer days.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks much for your suggestions. I truly hope it's just seasonal, but I'm so worried about that droopy leaf – it's never done that in any of the previous winters – and it stopped growing in September or so, so it wasn't cold yet at all.
Would it make sense to try to take it out of the pot and give it new soil? Or would you recommend rather not disturbing it in the state it's in?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It wouldn't be very traumatic to carefully unpot the plant. If there is any doubt about what is going on in the soil it would be good to take a look.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Some of this is likely seasonal, even the growth of indoor Monstera deliciosa will often slow in Winter.
For now, just observe and maintain, but do make certain soil and pot drain well.
It's hard to judge from photos but the light level seems reasonable. If there is a brighter spot available, consider moving it there.
As Spring begins in March or so, feed with a complete, general-purpose liquid fertilizer. Hopefully growth will pick up with longer days.
I agree with your answer, I think it will help solve the problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks both! I've carefully unpotted the plant yesterday and given it new soil. From what I could tell, the roots looked ok (see photos).
So let's hope that indeed in the spring it'll be back to normal.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b3f.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b3d.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It would have been better to look at the roots WITHOUT tearing them apart. Now it has to grow them back which will slow the whole process. More light and warmth will help, but expect leaf loss in the meantime.

Ask a Question