Can’t stop getting root rot...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve become quite interested in house plants over the past year and do a lot of research. So i would say I am a beginner but still have some knowledge.

I keep “easy” plants, and i have them all in south facing windows. (I live in the UK) so right now it’s pretty dark, overcast light. I keep all my plants their plastic nursery pots, majority are in the soil they come in, the ones I have repotted, I used Westland houseplant potting mix. I can see some perlite in the mix but it still feels quite heavy and says it contains Seramis.

When watering my plants, I stick my finger deep down into the soil. I also stick finger into one of the bottom holes in the pot. I usually water when it feels dry or when it’s dry but slightly moist to the point where I’m not sure if it’s barely moist or just cold, if that’s makes sense.

I run water through the soil evenly until it streams out of the bottom. I then tilt the pot and let it drain. I give it a little squeeze to help the water out, then I leave it in the sink to further drain then put it back in the decorative pot. No water is in the bottom of the decorative pots.
My plants remain very wet, for a long time, it can take a month+ for the plants to dry out till next watering, I feel like the roots are wet for too long, but I don’t know what I can do to dry it out quicker? I watered some plants last week, and today they are still on the wetter side of moist. I repotted a couple today and noticed root rot, even though I’m waiting a long time between waterings, so it must be a problem with how long it’s taking to dry out, has anyone else had these problems?

I see a lot of videos on YouTube saying only water when the first 2inches are dry. I usually wait till it’s dryer pretty much the whole way through. I feel like my plants are chronically waterlogged already.

If potting mix is the issue, can someone recommend a good combo?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for your time reading.

My plants are:

Rubber plant
Umbrella plant
Euphorbia cactus
Aloe vera
ZZ plant
Yucca
Golden pothos
Neon pothos
Jade pothos
Cebu blue pothos
Skindapsis pictus silver satin
Monstera deliciosa
Philodendron Brasil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know what the base of the potting mix is made of but peat is water retentive. Seramis is a clay that also retains water, a lot of water for the size of the particles. If you are getting root rot I would change to a different potting soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chuck thanks for your swift reply.

I think it’s the soil mix too. Supposedly good for drainage but barely see any perlite in it & soaks up water like a sponge.
Is there any soil or combination of potting mix you can reccomend? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck thanks for your swift reply.

I think it’s the soil mix too. Supposedly good for drainage but barely see any perlite in it & soaks up water like a sponge.
Is there any soil or combination of potting mix you can reccomend? Thanks
I am clueless as to what is available in the UK.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are using a very good potting mix, and your problem is more likely to be pots with inadequate drainage holes and overwatering. Now the autumn is here plants slow down and do not need all the water you are pouring in to make them so wet.
Water much less. Your potting mix will help them to stay just moist, so as not to kill them all with root rot.
Over watered plants indoors are also a magnet for sciarid flies, and when their larva starts to eat the roots you may find you have even more problems that you thought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Try this. Place the pots in a tray and allow the water to absorb from the bottom until you are happy with how the top soil feels for moisture. You might consider a moisture meter or do a moisture percentage test by oven dried weight.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't let the water to run through, just give them a bit from the top, they don't need much in winter, a lot of houseplants are killed that way.

Ask a Question