Expired potting soil

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hi all,
I have few doubts about potting soil.

1. I read that peat moss in potting soil will decompose and chokes the roots causing root rots. Is there any other way to handle this issue ?

2. The compost in potting soil will erode eventually. So, can I prevent the potting soil from expiring by adding compost and fertilizer on top of it (not mixing together) ?

3. Can I do the same step as number 2 above for garden soil (in pots) and get the same results.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

It is possible that the structure of potting soil could eventually breakdown to the point where drainage is impeded. This would usually only happy is the soil was kept poorly drained or excessively compressed for an extended period. This is more likely to happen in a pot than a bag, but anything is possible. With practice, you will be able to judge this by sight.

If the potting soil in a bag is just dried out, it is usually fine. though you may need to re-wet peat-based soils before using. Water the soil in the bag, let it drain and then wait a day or so for the peat to absorb the moisture. If it very dry, you may need to soak it overnight, by weighing the bag down underwater in a bucket.

Even if the potting soil is gtoo degraded, don't throw it out. It will still work as either compost matter,soil amendment, or as a thinly applied mulching component. This also goes for previously-planted potting soil, that you may not want to re-use in a container, Hwever, re-using potting soil in a container more than once is usually fine, unless you suspect that it is infected or infested in some way.

Ask a Question