JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB, have you ever thought about submitting any of your shots to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower website? I've been going to that site to "window shop" for what seeds I want to buy, and I've got to say, not many of the pictures they have are as pretty as yours.

As I've said before, you piqued my interest in natives enough that I found that website. I needed to know if blue-eyed grass was native to Ohio. I fell in love with blue-eyed grass because of your pictures. :love:

They have 15 pictures of blue-eyed grass. Take a look. None of them made me catch my breath and say "Oooh!!" http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/species.php?id_plant=SIAN3

Looking at their pictures of it, I wouldn't have been enticed to order seeds online the way I did. :D
Does it bloom the first year? :love:

Appreciate the compliment! :D

I'm surprised how pale many of those photos look and wonder if some are of different Sisyrinchium species, but there is always a bit of variety in true wild species. I have added photos to other sites in the past, but not that one. Of course, I also have been compiling photos of each of my plants on my JB's Native Garden site on the "My Plants" page as a reference for myself and anyone else who winds up there. I like having a photographic list of each and every native specie I have. I plan on eventually using that to help me finish my showcase here on Gardening Forums.

I've had some Blue-eyed grass grow really well the first season and others that don't do much until the second year, but I've never had any bloom the first year. They always bloom the second year even if they are small. It's well worth the wait!

When they produce seed, I collect it and then wait until Autumn to scatter it where I want it. It seems to be really easy to grow from seed. As long as they have three months in Winter conditions, the seeds seem to sprout easily. I'm using it to border my pond and have had a lot of seedlings pop up where I scattered the seeds last year.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went on a short hike today. Tons of Pale Purple Coneflower in bloom. I wouldn't mind adding these to my garden eventually. They bloom earlier than Purple Coneflower. I get jealous of places like this. I wish I could get a huge chunk of land and restore a prairie.
IMG_3342 copy.jpg
and
IMG_3344 copy.jpg

IMG_3352 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Been a while since I updated this post. Here's Bloodroot seen today in a local woodland. It's an awesome spring ephemeral. None were full-bloom, but they still looked great throughout the woods.

IMG_8221 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some photos from a walk I took yesterday. Springtime walks in the woods always remind me that I really need to plant more woodland species!

Red Trillium
IMG_8532 copy.jpg

Woodland Phlox
IMG_8535 copy.jpg

Virginia Bluebells
IMG_8537 copy.jpg

False Rue Anemone
IMG_8556 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
We were in Arizona last month and despite being in drought there along with being the dry season there were still things to be seen.

Attachments

• DSCN3065.JPG
    DSCN3065.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCN3067.JPG
    DSCN3067.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCN3077.JPG
    DSCN3077.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCN3079.JPG
    DSCN3079.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN3120.JPG
    DSCN3120.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN3470.JPG
    DSCN3470.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCN3474.JPG
    DSCN3474.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN3485.JPG
    DSCN3485.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCN4256.JPG
    DSCN4256.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCN3147.JPG
    DSCN3147.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 263

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some photos from nature's garden.

Cup Plants, a native sunflower named because it holds rainwater in its leaves. Birds, small mammals, and insects can drink from it.
IMG_1069 copy.jpg

Prairie species, such as Wild Bergamot and Gray-headed Coneflower.
IMG_1074 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thought I'd dig up this old thread to share the exciting news of two habitat restorations in my area. Both of these restorations are being created to help clean our waterways as well as add habitat for pollinators and other wildlife. There will be 40+ species of native plants used for these projects. Every bit of habitat restoration makes a difference, so these are exciting times.

The first is an old farm field at a local park. 15 acres of unused land was recently seeded with native prairie species. There will eventually be a trail through the prairie so that families can enjoy the sights. I can hardly wait to see it in bloom in a few years!
Smolenskipraire.jpg

The second project was announced this week. Roughly 135 acres of habitat along Lamparek Ditch will be restored using native species. I believe they will also being doing some work on the ditch to minimize flood risk in the future. The ditch is now being renamed as a Lamparek Creek. There will also be roughly two miles of recreational pathway installed, so everyone can get out and enjoy it.
LamparekDitch1.jpg

Here, you can see the soon to be restored creek in yellow, and the recently restored Pike River habitat in green. These projects are connected in every way. The creek flows into the river, so clean water flowing down the creek will make for a cleaner river. The Pike River also has a recreational path, so the new path will connect to it. If you look closely, you'll also be able to find the park from the first photo toward the top of this image. While all these projects are separate, they are all achieving the same goal of healthier water that flows into Lake Michigan.
LamparekDitch2.jpg

What makes it even better is that the endangered Rusty-patched Bumble Bee lives in these areas, so this is going to be a great thing for this disappearing pollinator!

Ask a Question