Nature's Garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lovely photos! I have a patch of wild geranium too, although mine is pink (and l forgot to tell the new lawn guy where it was so he mowed it down last week. It's already coming back up though.

JB you inspired me to specifically look for native perennials. :) To my delight l found that my favourite local garden center has a section dedicated to them! I just planted butterfly bushes, coneflowers and milkweed. Can't wait for flowers!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lovely photos! I have a patch of wild geranium too, although mine is pink (and l forgot to tell the new lawn guy where it was so he mowed it down last week. It's already coming back up though.

JB you inspired me to specifically look for native perennials. :) To my delight l found that my favourite local garden center has a section dedicated to them! I just planted butterfly bushes, coneflowers and milkweed. Can't wait for flowers!

That's great! though Butterfly Bush is non-native and invasive.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went hiking the other day and saw a few things in nature's garden.

Coreopsis, not exactly sure what kind, possibly Lance-leaf Tickseed. and invasive Ox-eye Daisy in the background.
IMG_9579 copy.jpg

Wild Strawberries, which is why I went on my hike! Didn't find as many as I hoped for but there were still quite a few along the trail.
IMG_9586 copy.jpg

Lastly, this Swamp Milkweed was getting buds on it.
IMG_9594 copy.jpg

Here's what I found while camping last month:

Wild Columbine
IMG_7873 copy.jpg

Wild Geranium
IMG_8002 copy2.jpg

Wild Lupine
IMG_8004 copy.jpg

Shooting Star
IMG_8163 copy.jpg

Yellow Star Grass
IMG_8168 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A few more flowers on my walk today. This is a small habitat restoration on a street corner. I would love to see more of these in the US. They integrated about a half mile pathway through it, and people use it frequently. It's amazing how many people bring their kids or pets to it. I can't believe this isn't more common.

IMG_9704 copy.jpg

IMG_9705 copy.jpg

IMG_9710 copy.jpg

IMG_9713 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Watched fireworks from the edge of a small prairie habitat restoration. Summer flowers were blooming everywhere!
IMG_0004 copy.jpg

IMG_9973 copy.jpg

IMG_9975 copy.jpg

IMG_9980 copy.jpg

IMG_9981 copy2.jpg

IMG_9982 copy.jpg

IMG_9983 copy.jpg

IMG_9984 copy2.jpg

IMG_9985 copy.jpg

IMG_9989 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That is a beautiful butterfly picture. I rarely see butterflies around this area, and have thougt about actually planting a butterfly bush so I could see more of them. I think they are some of the nicest looking species. It gives people a way to look at some of the more colorful options that nature has to offer. I think it is outstanding actually.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is a beautiful butterfly picture. I rarely see butterflies around this area, and have thougt about actually planting a butterfly bush so I could see more of them. I think they are some of the nicest looking species. It gives people a way to look at some of the more colorful options that nature has to offer. I think it is outstanding actually.

I would recommend against it. Butterfly Bush is highly invasive here in the US, and some states are even beginning to ban it. On top of that, it also does not attract butterflies nearly as much as it's name would suggest, and was named that only as a marketing strategy. It is not nearly as beneficial to butterflies as native plants are.

Consider planting a mixture of natives, like Orange Milkweed, Swamp Milkweed, Meadow Blazing Star, and Purple Coneflower (the true native, not cultivars or hybrids). Plants like those will attract all sorts of butterflies.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Spent a couple days camping at the largest wet-prairie in the US, well at least east of the Mississippi River. There were plenty of native plants in bloom. I didn't photograph them all, but I did take a few photos while I was there.

Flowering Spurge
IMG_1531 copy.jpg

Brown-eyed Susan
IMG_1566 copy.jpg

Sawtooth Sunflower(?)
IMG_1604 copy.jpg

Rough Blazing Star
IMG_1646 copy.jpg

Milkweed Tussock caterpillar on Common Milkweed
IMG_1628 copy2.jpg

Goldenrod
IMG_1720 copy.jpg

Morning in the Scuppernong Prairie.
IMG_1558 copy2.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The season of Asters has begun. Asters are the latest blooming flowers here. Once you see them, you know the season's winding down.
IMG_2233 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't posted anything in Nature's Garden for a long time, but today's a great day for a new post. I went on a hike at a local nature sanctuary and a lot of native plant species were blooming. I didn't photograph everything, but wish I would've. Here's just some of the flowers I came across today. I'm pretty jealous, because I don't have any of these amazing native plants in my native garden.

Prairie Smoke
IMG_2130 copy.jpg

Shooting Stars
IMG_2132 copy.jpg

White Trout Lily
IMG_2135 copy.jpg

Red Trillium
IMG_2137 copy.jpg

White Trillium
IMG_2133 copy.jpg

Phlox
IMG_2141 copy.jpg

Virginia Blue Bells
IMG_2144 copy.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Photography is one of my favorite hobbies. Truth is, it's deeper than that, though. I hope that the better I can capture nature, the more people will respect it after seeing my photos.

JB, have you ever thought about submitting any of your shots to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower website? I've been going to that site to "window shop" for what seeds I want to buy, and I've got to say, not many of the pictures they have are as pretty as yours.

As I've said before, you piqued my interest in natives enough that I found that website. I needed to know if blue-eyed grass was native to Ohio. I fell in love with blue-eyed grass because of your pictures. :love:

They have 15 pictures of blue-eyed grass. Take a look. None of them made me catch my breath and say "Oooh!!" http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/species.php?id_plant=SIAN3

Looking at their pictures of it, I wouldn't have been enticed to order seeds online the way I did. :D
Does it bloom the first year? :love:

Ask a Question