Learning to read nature's cues

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's interesting. My only objection is the suggestion of putting down chemicals to deal with "Weeds" in the lawn. We all know by now this isn't the best course of action. There have been times in the past though that I've used these kinds of signs from nature. Too bad I didn't write any of it down, because now I can't remember it, lol.

These days when I want to do something I often spend a lot of time thinking "now what was it I used to do before...?" Hard to recall those things you've forgotten you ever knew about in the first place, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing the article! I find it really helpful. Although I'm not sure if "prune roses when crocuses begin to flower" is true. As far as I know, roses need to be pruned often, not just once.

Reaction score
The external cues I can always sense is when it is about to rain. I have those old people bones and when the rain is about to start my joints kill me! I also know after a few hard rains after fall the freeze is coming. Other external cues of the garden are customized to each particular garden. It's really great to be intune with nature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My simplest cue is just to cut off all the dead parts of a plant. I am not sure how effective it is in the end, but it is simple and it is what my dad taught me.

Reaction score
Awesome article! Sadly I'm not good with cues at all, not one bit! Both with plants or people, I always fail to read them right, specially with plants ;) Unless the plant starts losing a lot leaves or getting all brown :ROFLMAO: But I know very well when it needs some water ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is an interesting article, but it is not for me. I don't use any chemical in my lawn and garden area. I have a dog that romping the yard and children that play there. Lily of the valley is taken over a good part of my garden and it is poisonous for my pet to be around. I need to remove them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I see your issue IcyBC, but I would be in heaven if Lily of the Valley took over my yard. I do not have a dog, so poisoning would not be something I would need to worry about. Lily smells so wonderful that I would like to have it all over my yard.

Ask a Question