Garlic, nature's antibiotic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love garlic, but I didn't grow any this year because I cannot find a strong kind like I had available when I was younger. When I find it, hopefully next year, I'll grow lots of it! :D

http://www.naturalnews.com/045118_garlic_natural_antibiotics_allicin.html
Garlic is used in organic gardening even more so than molasses. It can be used as a pesticide and fungicide, a deterrent and even as a systemic pesticide for thrips. Planting time for garlic in your area is about Oct. 1 so you will have a lot of time to find what you want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My grandfather believes that garlic can heal every disease. He eats it even when he suffers from an upset stomach;) Surprisingly, it always helps him.
Personally, I really can't stand the taste of garlic. I don't care how healthy it is, I simply can't force myself to eat it;) I used to take a garlic supplement some time ago though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My grandfather believes that garlic can heal every disease. He eats it even when he suffers from an upset stomach;) Surprisingly, it always helps him.
Personally, I really can't stand the taste of garlic. I don't care how healthy it is, I simply can't force myself to eat it;) I used to take a garlic supplement some time ago though.
Spagetti and meat balls just aren't the same without garlic. And my dogs would have a lot more fleas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Oh yeah, lots of foods would be so much worse without garlic...

I'm glad to know I still have time to find the kind of garlic I like to grow some this year :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

I'm glad to know I still have time to find the kind of garlic I like to grow some this year :)
In our area you plant garlic cloves the same time you plant onion seeds. Plant the garlic in the ground and the onion seeds in a seed tray in Oct.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Epsom salts will make your garlic stronger; you see it's the sulphur compounds in garlic which both give it its flavour and medicinal uses.
Epsom salts is magnesium sulphate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

It is way too late for a crop this year. You plant about the first of October and harvest about this time next year

Reaction score
I was suggested to use garlic to treat my UTI infection by a user from a different forum. I googled for more details and yeah, it seems a lot people use garlic even to fight yeast infections. I wish we weren't so dependent of medications! I am, but trying to avoid antibiotics as much as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmm. I never tried that on my dogs. Thanks for the tip!
Yep, just put a little garlic powder into their food every day. It really helps with fleas and worms. You can also add a little DE into their food also and that really helps with internal parasites

Ask a Question