Mushrooms

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about growing puff balls.

This is fascinating!

Don't know if anyone's managed that yet, but if you had some rich turf then it'd be worth a go if you can find an old one with spores.

You'd need to plant them in separate patches as the fruiting bodies form where 2 separate myceliums meet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
[QUE="zigs, posthe: 45185, member: 214"]It can absorb the toxinsat from the tree and you'll die of death [/QUO

why is it that the music from jaws plays in my head when I look at your avatar :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
[QUE="zigs, posthe: 45185, member: 214"]It can absorb the toxinsat from the tree and you'll die of death [/QUO

why is it that the music from jaws plays in my head when I look at your avatar :D

Apparently the Shark in Jaws was "Fudged" too :whistle:

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are some species that are used medicinally for pain in places and "spiritual" purposes in others also. They create a euphoric effect and has similar properties to the mind as LSD. Those are more common then the ones that will outright kill you.

One of my favorite mushrooms grows on trees, problem is there is a poisonous version of it that is identical that is of the deadly variety and so it worries me to try and get them. I don't think there is a way to grow them in a controlled environment unfortunately.

As far as the ones that are "similar to LSD", I'll assume you're talking about Psilocybe Cubensis, and I cannot think of a single mushroom that is identical to it. Nonetheless a poisonous one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've noticed a lot of people put a good bit of stock in urban legends concerning mushrooms. Everyone's scared of 'em because of old wives tales. Generally, if a mushroom is poisonous, it gives you some kind of warning. Usually with bright colors or a bad smell/taste.

I'm not saying go out and eat random mushrooms, but do a little research and you will find that most of your fears are unjustified.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Where I'm from, Catalonia, people go in the woods, mostly in the fall, and pick mushrooms. Every fall we hear about people that have died for ingesting the wrong kind of mushroom. They're not that easy to spot. Some of them look very similar to the kinds we eat, and you have to know what you're doing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been picking mushrooms for years and never had a problem. The only reason for mushroom poisoning is blatant negligence. That's all there is too it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That would be Psilocybe Cubensis. There are so many myths surrounding this fungi, and I'll stand by my statement that the only way to mess up picking them in the wild is negligence. The only way to mess up growing them is not being clean and letting mold spores get on your substrate. Then you'll be growing a jar of mold! ;)

Ask a Question