Mushrooms growing in my vegetable garden in Palm Beach -is this safe and what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a cucumber, ocra, and red pepper vegetable garden - well fertilized and maybe too much irrigation - It is forming the mushrooms shown in this picture. What kinds of mushrooms are these? Are they safe? And, what do I do about it?

Thank you in advance, Palm Beach Gardener

Attachments

• mushroomsingarden.jpg
    mushroomsingarden.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 897
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like you're overwatering ;)

No idea about the type of fungus I'm afraid, but hopefully someone here can provide more help :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those are toadstools. Do not eat them. They are a fungus that is growing on dead organic matter and helping to break it down. They are a sign of healthy soil and they will disappear in a day or two. Don't worry they are good guys but poisonous if eaten. Just leave them alone and let them do their thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder if we are overwatering as well as Becky said - Is there a "perfect" amount of watering we should be performing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wonder if we are overwatering as well as Becky said - Is there a "perfect" amount of watering we should be performing?
There is no such thing as the "perfect amount". You water when the plants need it and to determine that IF THE PLANT IS DROOPY OR WILTED IN THE MORNING IT NEEDS WATERING. And when you water, water deeply and thoroughly. You cannot kill a plant by watering too much at one time but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often. Most outdoor vegetables only need watering about every 7-10 days. It doesn't hurt a plant to get dry but keeping the roots wet will cause all kinds of problems

Ask a Question